Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Denham SAS smock?

Article about: I thought it was SAS after googling Denham smock. Hopefully this thread will show in google for others to find out more. So general issue smock, I don't care, its still nice. I've put some p

Default Denham SAS smock?

Hi guys,

not sure what I have here. SAS?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Denham SAS smock?   Denham SAS smock?  

?

Default Re: Denham SAS smock?

Hi,
    A windproof smock, meant for wear in cold climates, early war pictures show mountain troops wearing them.
    But they have been hijacked by dealers as SAS smocks used in the desert war or maybe Italy. Which there must be pictures of the SAS wearing them there.
    Aaron

So lets get this straight. Not SAS issue but they wore them? The smocks were issued to mountain troops only, like the 52nd lowland?

?

Hi,
    Pretty sure your smock plus the cammo version were'nt specially made for the SAS, it's just that they did wear them & ever since have been labled special forces smocks.
    Yes the 52nd Lowland wore them, & probably quite a few other divisions.
    Nice smock by the way.
    Aaron

Hi,
    i would say standard smock for cold weather use, they were even used in scotland so most units had them.
    Dave.

Thanks for the guys. Ive not seen one before so can't have been that common. I can't see 'most units' wearing them. I have a set of 52nd mountain badges so may sew them on!

Insignia was not worn on these.

General issue item, like Aaron has said, now associated with the SAS by people "talking them up".

Cheers, Ade.

?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Hi,
    Pretty sure your smock plus the cammo version were'nt specially made for the SAS, it's just that they did wear them & ever since have been labled special forces smocks.
    Yes the 52nd Lowland wore them, & probably quite a few other divisions.
    Nice smock by the way.
    Aaron

Aaron,

You've hit the nail square on the head mate.

There was no such thing as a "SAS/Special Forces Smock" etc during the WWII period, the smocks were originally designed as a cold weather/windproof garment, originally for mountain troops, but were supposed to be a general issue item as well.

There are loads of photos of them in use by every type of soldier from commando's to SAS to infantry in both camouflaged and plain.

There are also some good shots of both versions in the book:

The World War II Tommy; British Army Uniforms European Theatre 1939 - 45 In Colour Photographs
    By Martin Brayley & Richard Ingram
    Pub: Crowood Press
    ISBN: 1 - 86126 - 190 - X

Hope that this is of some help

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

?

Hi Ian,
    Were'nt they still using them in the first Gulf war as well.
    Thanks for the info on the book.
    Aaron

?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Hi Ian,
    Were'nt they still using them in the first Gulf war as well.
    Thanks for the info on the book.
    Aaron

You're welcome Aaron.

In answer to your question, yes, as far as I am aware, they were still being used in GW1, along with quite a bit of other older items of kit, both personal "buy-ins" and issued!

The book is one of a series, similar to the Histoires & Collections series, with re-enactors wearing genuine kit in realistic scenarios. Its not cheap at £25 when I got my copy a couple of years ago, but well worth it - just need to get the other books in the series now.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast