Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 18 of 52 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 ... LastLast

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Article about: Very neat addition to your collection, fine maps indeed. All you need to find is a slight variation and then it is impossible to part with! I will be posting a very rare MI-9 German Identity

I have finally managed to purchase an infamous RAF 'ditching' whistle for a reasonable price (less than £20! I have never understood why, given the quantity available, they command such a high price).
    They were often attached to the collar of the battledress blouse. I have attached some wartime pictures showing the whistles being worn, interestingly they appear to have been attached to both sides of the collar. The right side of the collar has the 'hook' and the left the 'eye' or 'loop'. I would have thought that attaching the whistle to the 'hook' meant that you ran the risk of loosing it when bailing out.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

It must have been difficult to remove it from the eye side though if floating in the water or even in a dingy.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    It must have been difficult to remove it from the eye side though if floating in the water or even in a dingy.
    Good point!

AAF Cloth Map - Asiatic Series
    No 34 South East China and No 35 North East China dated 1944
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Another carrier pigeon leg capsule / container. This is the much rarer type and of the same construction as the one found in a chimney a couple of years ago - Wanted for one last mission: call for Bletchley Park codebreakers to crack the D-Day pigeon cipher - Telegraph
    (The black one is mine!)

Attached Images Attached Images Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more! 

?

Great thread.
    Super items. Interesting maps.
    I quite like the 'escape boots' as well.
    Great bit of Fairbairn litterature.
    What is the make of the knife partly seen in the OP next to the two FS daggers, pls?
    This thread reminded me of a US kit belonging to a very good collector buddy of mine:
    The hyper rare Pacific Theater of Operations Escape and Evasion Kits commonly known as 'Barter Kits.'
    These are of course a horse of a very different colour, but still part of being marooned and alone and having to evade the enemy in order to get to ones own lines.

Quote by Scout View Post
    Great thread.
    Super items. Interesting maps.
    I quite like the 'escape boots' as well.
    Great bit of Fairbairn litterature.
    What is the make of the knife partly seen in the OP next to the two FS daggers, pls?
    This thread reminded me of a US kit belonging to a very good collector buddy of mine:
    The hyper rare Pacific Theater of Operations Escape and Evasion Kits commonly known as 'Barter Kits.'
    These are of course a horse of a very different colour, but still part of being marooned and alone and having to evade the enemy in order to get to ones own lines.
    The knife is not marker marked. It is of a type that was a common private purchase fighting knife that was available in Britain during the war (A lot were produced by William Rodgers)
    You are correct in saying that the Pacific Theater of Operations Escape and Evasion Kits are hyper rare - mainly because they contained gold and other valuables!!!

Another carrier pigeon capsule / container. I have not been able to find another example like it so I am unsure if it is wartime, it came with the black plastic one above.
    I have shown it alongside a British example which is of a type that was used in WW1 and WW2

Last edited by Grimebox; 02-12-2014 at 05:15 PM.

?

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    The knife is not marker marked. It is of a type that was a common private purchase fighting knife that was available in Britain during the war (A lot were produced by William Rodgers)
    Thanks for info.
    Yeah, W. Rodgers turned out a lot of blades.
    My own FS is a Rodgers made knife

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    You are correct in saying that the Pacific Theater of Operations Escape and Evasion Kits are hyper rare - mainly because they contained gold and other valuables!!!
    Yep - and a very nice (to me) Milus Snow star Watch ;-)

My wife has a button off a US Army air corp coat that
    is hollow and has a removable back. These were
    supposedly used to hide maps. Unfortunately she
    has it packed away and I can't get any pictures of it.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Page 18 of 52 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 ... LastLast