Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 19 of 52 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 ... LastLast

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Article about: Very neat addition to your collection, fine maps indeed. All you need to find is a slight variation and then it is impossible to part with! I will be posting a very rare MI-9 German Identity

Quote by seebee1 View Post
    The British Fiber Carrier Pigeon Leg Capsules are interesting, but I am unsure if they are WW2 or post-WW2. There is a very good exhibition at Bletchley Park, in Hut 8, on the use of Pigeons in wartime. Although they have several examples of the Leg Capsules I did not see any of the Fiber ones. Also shown is a fine documentary that covers many of their brave exploits and awards of the Dickin Medal. The use of the Peregrine Falcon, by both the British and Germans, to kill Carrier Pigeons was something I did not know too much about previously. Some amazing footage shows how a Pigeon could avoid the Falcon, that was diving at some 200 MPH, all the Pigeon did was to suddenly drop like a stone and the falcon simply overshot it!
    Some clarity over the fibre / hard cardboard message capsule (courtesy of eBay! I appreciate it is not normally the best source of info, however, the seller is only selling carrier pigeon related items so appears to know their stuff). The seller states that the manual is dated May 1944 and that this type of capsule was introduced in late 1943
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

jwp
    ?

Hi,
    I got today in a local antique centre a copy of sheet 43A, it has france on one side and on the other has France and Spain and the Pyrenees, and also the German frontier, it is in good condition, just marks from folding, another new collecting field for me, I paid £28 for it, is this a fair price ?, I was happy to pay this for what I considered a great collectable and am very happy to have got it, your expert opinion would be much appreciated,
    kind regards,
    John.

jwp
    ?

Sorry to add another post so soon after my last, thought you may be able to tell me more about this item, I think it is a blood chit, It came Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!with a ww2 Burma star group to a local RAF man, not seen any version like this before, it is on very delicate paper,
    cheers,
    John.

Quote by jwp View Post
    Hi,
    I got today in a local antique centre a copy of sheet 43A, it has france on one side and on the other has France and Spain and the Pyrenees, and also the German frontier, it is in good condition, just marks from folding, another new collecting field for me, I paid £28 for it, is this a fair price ?, I was happy to pay this for what I considered a great collectable and am very happy to have got it, your expert opinion would be much appreciated,
    kind regards,
    John.
    £28 is a good price (depending on condition), these are going for £50-£60+ now

Quote by jwp View Post
    Sorry to add another post so soon after my last, thought you may be able to tell me more about this item, I think it is a blood chit, It came Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!with a ww2 Burma star group to a local RAF man, not seen any version like this before, it is on very delicate paper,
    cheers,
    John.
    This is not a blood chit but a leaflet dropped by the allies to the Japanese encouraging them to surrender. Many were dropped by both sides (Allied and Axis) on all fronts during the war.

This is a very good link - http://www.psywar.org/leaflets.php

jwp
    ?

Many thanks indeed for you prompt reply, yes the map is in great condition, also thank you for the info regarding what I thought was a blood chit, reading it again it now makes it more clear,
    Thanks again, very much appreciated,
    regards,
    John.

Lots of very interesting items here Grimebox! Nice collection.

Bartholomew map of Italy. Double sided and marked J.3. and J.4.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

A U.S. 'Blood chit' for Russia. Not the best of condition, however, it is quite rare! It is printed on paper and is shown alongside the British version (which is printed on Rayon) and the U.S. 'Blood chit' card shown in post 31

Can anyone add anything regarding this piece? Cannot find another example anywhere?Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Page 19 of 52 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 ... LastLast