Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 20 of 52 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 ... LastLast

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Article about: Very neat addition to your collection, fine maps indeed. All you need to find is a slight variation and then it is impossible to part with! I will be posting a very rare MI-9 German Identity

Yes, I was one of the under bidders for it on eBay!

From the pictures on eBay I believe that it is genuine period piece (I have seen your post on WAF)
    I can only summise that it was produced by Mi9 with a view of sending it to SOE / resistance in France so that they were aware of where the camps were for escape routes, etc. I see to no benefit to issuing it to aircrew or P.O.W's. It is a very interesting piece.

Default Support Shean Block at Camp 20 Wilton Park before its too late...

For those of you who are familiar with the history of MI9 you will know that they moved out of the War Office in London to Wilton Park camp close to Beaconsfield for the duration of the war. Wilton Park housed both the 'escape and evasion tool' inventors, designers and small scale manufacturers, spearheaded by Christopher Clayton Hutton. The interrogation group also used cell blocks to house important Axis PoWs prior to interrogation. Post war Wilton Park became the Army Language school and remained in service throughout the Cold War and until quite recently.

However Wilton Park is now closed and facing demolition and amonxt the surviving buildings is Shean Block. This building was erected in 1942 and served as Headquarters to MI9 for a period during the war. It is virtually the sole wartime survivor of the buildings built at Wilton Park to support the important escape, evasion and interrogation work conducted there.

In an attempt to protect and preserve Shean Block a petition has been raised, requesting Buckinghamshire County Council and South Bucks District Council to work with the new developers to save this important wartime building and preserve its important history.

So please would those of you who care, follow the link below and please pledge your support for the petition and see if we can save this important site before it becomes yet another of our wartime heritage sites to disapper before we even knew it was at risk...

Here it is: http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/buckinghamshire-county-council-and-south-bucks-district-council-save-shean-block-at-wilton-park-beaconsfield-2?utm_source=guides&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign= petition_lonely

The price of escape maps (and escape and evasion items in general) has gone through the roof in the last 6 months. Whilst it's nice I have an investment it means adding to the collection has taken a severe hit as I am not willing (and don't have the funds!) to pay some of the crazy prices that others are willing to pay.
    This latest addition is an early Air Ministry double sided silk map showing Greece on one side (9.S) and Bulgaria and Romania (9.T).
    It is shown alongside the singled sided map of Bulgaria and Romania (9.T) that I have
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Default Shaving brush?

Hi,
    Did you ever open your Leno brush and see if it had a compass or anything else inside?
    Regards
    TB

Quote by mjclark View Post
    Hi! I'm new to the forum and am primarily a collector of vintage shaving gear.
    I have just acquired a 1943 Leng shaving brush which appears identical to the brush pictured here: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/airbo...15/#post837379

Anyway here's my brush:
    Attachment 527294

Attachment 526973

Attachment 526974

Is it likely that my this brush also contains an escape compass, and if so, what's the right technique for unscrewing the base- it's not yielding to simple twisting with a manual grip.

I don't want to damage the brush and actually it's a great shaving brush- horse hair and boar bristle and I used it this evening with some vintage shaving soap!

A single sided silk 'map' showing ocean currents and surface winds for the west Pacific area November-April, as issued to US Air Force / Navy as part of survival kits in case they ended up stranded at sea. It is interesting to note the poor cut and finish to the top and bottom of the map, likely caused when it was cut from a roll to speed up manufacture.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Not the best of condition (and whilst the prices of maps are still stratospheric beggars can't be choosers!), but it is still a rare silk map of Burma. The map looks better in hand and the lighter patches are nowhere near as bad as the camera flash makes them out to be.
    I have yet to see a definitive answer as to why these maps are orange, however, there are two schools of thought. One is that they were designed for use at night and the other is that they were to be used as a 'recognition panel / scarf' for waving at passing aircraft.
    The map is a 'survey of India' map and is shown alongside the more commonly found (although still rare) white version (shown on pg7). It is interesting to note that the white version carries a code which is not printed on to the orange version.

I have now got a 'full set' (i.e. two) RAAF fly button compass. It is shown alongside the black painted RAF ones
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

A very rare GSGS 3982 Series map of Udine. Some of the rarest WWII escape maps were the cloth copies of the Air Ministry GSGS 3982 paper series. Ten cloth maps were produced of the main Air Ministry series at a scale of approximately 1:2,500,000, while an additional 73 cloth maps were printed at a reduced size (13 in. x 15 in.) and with a scale of 1:500,000 scale. The latter are referred to as the 'miniatures.' Between July 1942 and July 1944, 34,000 copies of the miniatures were produced.
    It is shown alongside the other GSGS 3982 map that I own which is on mulberry leaf tissue paper.
    I have also shown it alongside a selection of other maps to show its size (Largest to smallest: 44 Series, 43 Series, Air Ministry, Bartholomew, GSGS 3982)

Manual of Guerilla Tactics. How to set booby traps, house to house fighting, how to 'dispatch' people with a knife. Other titles available: 'Little marvel' vegetable reference book, manual of cycling, elements of mathematics?!?

A very unusual map and one that I need a bit of help with! The map is clearly a Bartholomew map of France on one side and Germany on the other, quite a common map often printed on silk in double and single sided versions and single sided versions printed on mulberry leaf tissue. However, not only is this map printed on paper, but the paper itself is blue in colour!
    The paper is a similar colour blue to airmail paper, however, is not of a type of paper that I have come across before (I have examples of WW2 airmail paper which is considerably thinner and more delicate). The paper is lightweight but very strong, it has a texture like tracing paper but is not as opalescent and is thinner than draft tracing paper. The map clearly has considerable age to it and appears to have been folded and unfolded several times over its life time from the marks on it, however, this has not affected the quality of the paper (it has not cracked, split, etc). Purely an assumption on my part but I wonder whether the map is printed on blue as it is doubled sided and if it was printed on white the two images would 'foul' each other (i.e. the image on the opposite side would be seen and cause confusion).
    I have shown the map in company with the silk and tissue versions. They are all the same size with the exception of the silk France version which is about 1" narrower on the right hand side (it is the same scale but just missing the information from that side).
    Is this map a printers proof? Is it an experimental double sided paper version? Or just a type that I have not come across before?

***** UPDATE *****

It would appear that Bartholomew map A/B and R1/R2 were printed on 'aerogramme' paper (this is map A/C), however, I am yet to establish why

Last edited by Grimebox; 04-05-2016 at 06:02 PM.

Page 20 of 52 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 ... LastLast