Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 22 of 52 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 ... LastLast

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Article about: Very neat addition to your collection, fine maps indeed. All you need to find is a slight variation and then it is impossible to part with! I will be posting a very rare MI-9 German Identity

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    A plastic/Bakelite General Service button compass. To use it you dangle it from a piece of thread and it will point North (hopefully!). As you can see this one is black, they also come in brown.
    Here's the brown type on the factory placard. Shame the shop sold them all separately! From what I know these are from the denim BD? Thank You for this fantastic thread
    Last edited by reneblacky; 03-31-2021 at 10:41 PM.

Very nice. A large quantity of these unissued buttons along with swinger type compasses and buckle compasses came on the market several years ago having been found/released from Australian stores. I do peruse Australian eBay every now and then but unfortunately import and handling fees can be a killer.

This was found in a local shop 20 odd years ago! and I do have the buckle type (can't find the bugger in the junk pile)
    From what I know, no Aust kit used the buttons & buckles - well going from my junk!

Not original and not even a replica in the true sense of the word, but a nice Christmas stocking filler from my wife which I thought would be good to show alongside an original copy of the map.
    The original cards were designed to be soaked in water to be separated so that the map could be seen.
    I think the chances of me finding any are slim to nil, however as always, I will search on!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Attached Images Attached Images Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more! 

This book loosely fits under the umbrella of escape and evasion and I found it very intriguing that they would print it during the war. Whilst it is evidently clear that all countries would have had the capability and appropriate personnel to deal with cryptology and that (as the author states) 'cryptography is older than the pyramids', I find it interesting that when you look at the naivety of taking down road signs and asking suspected spies to recite words beginning with 'W' I'm surprised that the powers that be let the book be published for the general public (especially as there are numerous references to war).
    I have not read it let as just flicking through the pages gave me a headache! I cannot begin to imagine how you would write or decipher code whilst under the stress and pressure of being at war or under the conditions of a Prisoner of War camp.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Looks like an interesting book. I love Leo Marks 'Between silk and cyanide' it's just an amazing story, not only of codes and their use by SOE, but actually very amusing, as Marks has a fantastic sense of humour...

A bit self serving here, but for those interested in E&E items, my new book on Escape and evasion devices produced by MI9, MIS-X and SOE in WW2" is now in print. 320 pages and 650 unique colour images of WW2 E&E devices, along with the background and history of their origins and use, and of the various Allied agencies who conceived, produced and delivered them.

A book like this is never 'finished' but I very much hope that any of you who may eventually buy it, at least consider it a good start...

Available from Schiffer books, Amazon, Foyles, or Gazelle books, the U.K. Distributor:

https://www.gazellebookservices.co.u...htype=advanced

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

This book loosely fits under the umbrella of escape and evasion and I found it very intriguing that they would print it during the war. Whilst it is evidently clear that all countries would have had the capability and appropriate personnel to deal with cryptology and that (as the author states) 'cryptography is older than the pyramids', I find it interesting that when you look at the naivety of taking down road signs and asking suspected spies to recite words beginning with 'W' I'm surprised that the powers that be let the book be published for the general public (especially as there are numerous references to war).
    I have not read it let as just flicking through the pages gave me a headache! I cannot begin to imagine how you would write or decipher code whilst under the stress and pressure of being at war or under the conditions of a Prisoner of War camp.

Your book is a VERY good book! I waited a year for this book to be published (checking the publishers website almost daily) and it far surpassed my expectations. I have only just got it so I haven't finished reading it, however, I would recommend that anybody who is interested in this thread should buy a copy.

A piece of "tape" from the Colossus Machine at Bletchley Park. Very kindly sent by forum member CampX (a.k.a Dean O).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_computer

Having read the cryptography book I think it says,
    '! These files can't be opened. Your internet security settings prevented one or more files from being opened'

Either that or,
    'Your subscription to WRF Gold member has expired and must be renewed'

Many thanks, I'm really glad you are enjoying the book and appreciate your kind comments. Phil

Your book is a VERY good book! I waited a year for this book to be published (checking the publishers website almost daily) and it far surpassed my expectations. I have only just got it so I haven't finished reading it, however, I would recommend that anybody who is interested in this thread should buy a copy.

Having had a bit of post Christmas shopping spree I bought the following three maps from the same source. I have no history, however, it is interesting to note that they all cover a similar area.

First up is Bartholomew map R1 and S1 showing Italy and Romania. It's a bit crumpled, however, I am yet to build up the courage to press any of my maps

Page 22 of 52 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 ... LastLast