Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 32 of 52 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 42 ... LastLast

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Article about: Very neat addition to your collection, fine maps indeed. All you need to find is a slight variation and then it is impossible to part with! I will be posting a very rare MI-9 German Identity

I had the pleasure of attending a lecture on escape maps by Dr Barbara Bond a couple of weeks ago and if you are interested in escape maps I thoroughly recommend trying to attend one.
    I met with Dr Bond on Friday and she spent several hours looking through my collection of maps. She confirmed that she had never seen my GSGS 4090 maps of Norway before and was not aware of their existence. Along with that the GSGS 4072 were unknown to her. Dr Bond also identified another five maps that I have that she had either been aware of but had never seen before or was only aware of one or two in existence held in national collections.
    Dr Bond agreed that my theory that the Norway maps might be linked to the Tirpitz had some basis to it and pointed me in a few directions for further research. I also noticed that all of these maps had staple holes on one side suggesting that they had been in a book or folder.
    Dr Bond has a wealth of information and is a font of knowledge on escape maps and I learnt a lot from her visit. She took several notes and stated that she would further research the unknown maps and would keep in contact so as well as my own research I will have to wait and see what Dr Bond turns up.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

An interesting little poster which fits in with this thread. It’s slightly smaller than A4 and is marked GS POSTER No.18 1944
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Default Resistance produced Evaders French ID

Hello everyone,
    I thought I’d post this incredibly rare, French Resistance produced, counterfeit French ID. Produced for Royal Air Force Bomber Command Evader, Flight Engineer, Sergeant, 1649548, Lawrence Frank Boness, serving with 463 Squadron Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF).

He was shot down in Avro Lancaster, Mark III, LM597, call sign JO-W, which took off from RAF Waddington Lincolnshire, on 24th June 1944 on an operation to attack flying bomb sites at Proville, France. However, the aircraft was shot down by German Flak over the Pas de Calais.

Boness evaded and was picked up by the Resistance, who used one of his Escape photos to produce this forged ID. At this point Boness was moved to the Allied evaders camp concealed deep in the Fréteval forest near Chateaudun, south of Paris, and run as “Operation Sherwood” by IS9 Captain, and later barrister, poilitician and shadow Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, Airey Neave. In August 1944 Boness and 134 other Allied evaders and escapers were led to freedom as Allied invasion troops over ran Chateaudun.

What a fantastic piece of MI9 history, and a great example of the excellent (and I think under-rated) and highly dangerous work undertaken by the French Resistance, in aid of Allied evaders during WW2. My thanks to the current owner.

I came across this image whilst scouring the ‘net. You don’t see many images of silk maps in use.
    It was taken on the 17th September 1944 and shows six American paratroopers of the First Allied Airborne Army receiving a final briefing from their commanding officer before emplaning.
    From what I can see of the map I believe that it is a 43 Series map, probably Sheet C and D.
    Last edited by Grimebox; 06-07-2019 at 08:42 PM.

Default Images of Silk Map use

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    I came across this image whilst scoured my the ‘net. You don’t see many images of silk maps in use.
    It was taken on the 17th September 1944 and shows six American paratroopers of the First Allied Airborne Army receiving a final briefing from their commanding officer before emplaning.
    From what I can see of the map I believe that it is a 43 Series map, probably Sheet C and D.

Great image. As you say, they are few and far between. I have a fuzzy captured still (from a video) of some SS Troops in Normandy, viewing a captured Allied silk map. Sometime, I will purchase a good still from the image owners...

Default Beware this notorious faker!!

Folks, just a note to beware of this Notorious FAKER! This guy constantly posts home made SOE and MI9 escape and Evasion items. This week he was selling more of his Fake IS9 insignia (some of the Rarest insignia available, being worn for just 10 months) - but he seems to be able to find plenty! This week, a brush with hidden map and Swinger compass (see images). Recently hugely expensive groups of medals, worth nothing like the selling price... OK, so Buyer Beware, but that is no excuse. People like this are unscrupulous parasites (Shame on you if you are reading this Ebay bidder Grandads-loft)... So watch out folks and warn new collectors who may decide to buy a Bargain...

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Quote by Truebrit View Post
    Folks, just a note to beware of this Notorious FAKER! This guy constantly posts home made SOE and MI9 escape and Evasion items. This week he was selling more of his Fake IS9 insignia (some of the Rarest insignia available, being worn for just 10 months) - but he seems to be able to find plenty! This week, a brush with hidden map and Swinger compass (see images). Recently hugely expensive groups of medals, worth nothing like the selling price... OK, so Buyer Beware, but that is no excuse. People like this are unscrupulous parasites (Shame on you if you are reading this Ebay bidder Grandads-loft)... So watch out folks and warn new collectors who may decide to buy a Bargain...

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!
    He is very well known - The new ebay money maker - also currently uses the seller name ‘insomnia-parents’, although the names change regularly and there are other accounts that go into hibernation and are then resurrected. Unfortunately he has used your great book in the past to try and justify some of the crap he peddles.

I have finally managed to acquire the final map of the 44 Series. It is Sheet 44V / 44W covering Japan. I have only ever seen four of these for sale and they have always just been out of reach. They are not especially expensive but appear to be very rare, although Dr Bonds book state that only 5000 were produced which might explain their scarcity. It is technically not a WW2 map as (according to Dr Bonds book) they were produced in October 1945.
    This map has a hemmed edge and has been well used. The other ones that I have seen for sale have been in better condition, however, beggars can’t be choosers!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

I have finally managed to acquire the final map of the 44 Series. It is Sheet 44V / 44W covering Japan. I have only ever seen four of these for sale and they have always just been out of reach. They are not especially expensive but appear to be very rare, although Dr Bonds book state that only 5000 were produced which might explain their scarcity. It is technically not a WW2 map as (according to Dr Bonds book) they were produced in October 1945.
    This map has a hemmed edge and has been well used. The other ones that I have seen for sale have been in better condition, however, beggars can’t be choosers!
    Nice,
    I have never seen that sheet before...

He is very well known - The new ebay money maker - also currently uses the seller name ‘insomnia-parents’, although the names change regularly and there are other accounts that go into hibernation and are then resurrected. Unfortunately he has used your great book in the past to try and justify some of the crap he peddles.
    Does he or has he also traded as Vongold or is that someone else (Innocent)?

What do we do about people like this? Ebay are not interested as they cream of a percentage of his Plunder and is “Self regulating”... But they slapped my wrist and cancelled my sale on a 100% legitimate German Wehrpass on a Racial and emotive basis?! Not sure what’s more emotive than finding you were ripped off for £1,000+ by this Shyster!

Page 32 of 52 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 42 ... LastLast