Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 34 of 52 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 44 ... LastLast

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Article about: Very neat addition to your collection, fine maps indeed. All you need to find is a slight variation and then it is impossible to part with! I will be posting a very rare MI-9 German Identity

Quote by Truebrit View Post
    Not an E&E item as such, but related I think. The medal bar is undoubtedly original and genuine. It looks to have belonged to an RAF Officer who flew in North Africa (Africa Star, but no ACE). Obviously the unusual thing here is the Military Cross ribbon - not usual for RAF as it’s an Army award. Only 68 awarded to RAF.

The MC would typically be awarded to RAF for acts related to Evasion and Escape, so this chap was likely one, or the other. Sadly no other info on him, other than the fact(?) that he settled in Jersey after the war...

So if anyone Han she’d any light on who this may have belonged to, I’d be really grateful please?

Many thanks TB.

Attachment 1352796
    I don’t know if you have seen this online. Offers a bit of info on RAF recipients of the MC:
    RAF recipients of the Military Cross/Military Medal[RAFCommands Archive]

Thanks Grimebox, much appreciated.

Default Instructions for flying enemy aircraft

Very pleased to have picked these up recently. Very scarce instructions on starting and flying enemy aircraft. Distributed by MI9 to POW camps to enable escaped POWs to steal an enemy aircraft and fly it to Allied lines (even then a hugely dangerous activity, likely resulting in Both sides trying to shoot you down). Renowned British Fighter Pilot, Douglas Bader requested such instructions from MI9, early in his captivity. Bader was in-prisoned adjacent to a German airfield, and had planned to escape andd steal an aircraft, but not reading German, or knowing German aircraft starting procedures, had little chance of success without this type of data... The booklets are unusually large (15 x 10cm), but contain very nice cockpit plans (In English) showing all necessary instruments to ready an aircraft, then fly it. I have never seen another of these, so very pleased to have found them

.Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

I have never seen these before until now. Thanks!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Truebrit View Post
    Very pleased to have picked these up recently. Very scarce instructions on starting and flying enemy aircraft. Distributed by MI9 to POW camps to enable escaped POWs to steal an enemy aircraft and fly it to Allied lines (even then a hugely dangerous activity, likely resulting in Both sides trying to shoot you down). Renowned British Fighter Pilot, Douglas Bader requested such instructions from MI9, early in his captivity. Bader was in-prisoned adjacent to a German airfield, and had planned to escape andd steal an aircraft, but not reading German, or knowing German aircraft starting procedures, had little chance of success without this type of data... The booklets are unusually large (15 x 10cm), but contain very nice cockpit plans (In English) showing all necessary instruments to ready an aircraft, then fly it. I have never seen another of these, so very pleased to have found them

.Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

I have only seen the odd one available over the years and they have always been out of reach (financially speaking). I’m sure I’ve seen one for the Me 109, but I don’t know how many types they did

I was recently lucky to purchase a few books which belonged to former (amongst other things) soldier, PoW and SOE operative George Millar DSO MC. He was the author of HORNED PIGEON. A lot of the books were either signed by George Millar DSO MC or by their respective authors, unfortunately I wasn’t lucky enough to get all of the ones that I wanted.

George Millar (writer) - Wikipedia

The first book is THE ESCAPERS by Eric Williams, who was an escapee himself. It is signed by George Millar and one of the chapters documents his escape and journey.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

DARK OF THE MOON by Arch Scott. Arch Scott was a New Zealander and escapee

<EM>Obituary:</EM> Arch Scott - NZ Herald

It contains a typed note to George Millar and is signed along with the book by Arch Scott
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

NO LONGER WINGS TO FLY by James Kinross a former POW

Unfortunately not signed, but a proof copy of ESCAPE THROUGH THE PYRENEES by John Dunbar

A USAAF folding machete manufactured by Camillus. The machete was part of the B-4 emergency bailout kit. The kit came in a square canvas container which also included other survival items such as a fishing kit, signal mirror, etc and was normally attached to the parachute harness.
    The blade measures approximately 10 inches in length. The length of the machete when folded is approximately 11 inches.
    This machete still has its blade cover which is quite often missing.

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Page 34 of 52 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 44 ... LastLast