Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Article about: Very neat addition to your collection, fine maps indeed. All you need to find is a slight variation and then it is impossible to part with! I will be posting a very rare MI-9 German Identity

Default Re: Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Here is Spain and the Balearic Islands (marked H2) again, this time with North Africa (marked K3). It is interesting to note alongside the North Africa title marked in red is K3/H2
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Default Re: Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

These two maps cover the same area, the Black Sea area and the Middle East, however, one is code marked in black and the other in red (They are T1 and T3). One is also slightly larger than the other.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

In 1943 another series of cloth escape maps were produced that are immediately recognized by their vivid colors. These maps are of the European Theater and were issued to Allied pilots of the US, RAF, and RCAF. Printed by the company of John Waddington, Ltd, the maps consist of eight colors and are primarily at a scale of 1:1,000,000 with larger scale inserts. There are ten sheets in this series, which are composites of various paper sheets of the then existing International Map of the World, unlike the previous escape maps which were exact copies of existing paper sheets. The sheets are numbered with the prefix 43 followed by one of the upper case letters: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, and K (east) and K (west). When all the maps are laid out they basically overlap to provide a complete map of Europe.

This map shows sheet E and is very rare in that it is singled sided and appears to have been removed from the printing process prior to completion. Although single sided versions of the 43 Series are known to exist this one is clearly untrimmed and shows how it was produced by screen printing (the excess ink can be seen in one of the images). It was bought from Ebay and the seller stated that he got it from an elderly neighbour who use to work for a printers. The map is in pristine condition, although it appears to have been folded in half at some point in it's life (as can be seen in the pictures I had to weigh the corners down as it wants to roll itself up, despite this it is made of fabric, probably rayon or similar).
    I can only summise that this map was either 'removed' half way through the printing process (I would have thought this unlikely given the security surrounding escape equipment) or was left uncompleted for some reason. Having compared the untrimmed Map E with its completed double side counterpart it appears lighter in colour and the blue is not as strong, there are also light patches around Berlin. I therefore assume that the map was removed from the printing process prior to the final layer of colour being applied or it was at the end of the printing process and the ink was not as strong, hence it's removal and unfinished state.

Map A and B of the 43 series. Unfortunately it is very faded, but is better than the photos make it out to be!

Map C and D of the 43 Series. Maps A/B and C/D are the most sought after of the 43 Series and command a slightly higher price (which is strange as they appear more to be common!)

Map E and F of the 43 Series

Map G and H of the 43 Series

Map K(East) and K(West). The final map of the 43 Series.

I now have all of the maps of the European Theater 43 series (although my A/B is very faded, I shall get a better example at some point!).

I have shown the size difference in the maps, sheet G and H is the largest down to the smallest, Sheet K

What not to do with an escape map (at least in my eyes!).
    Map C/D of the 43 series turned into a place mat and what my wife informs me are a pair of egg cosies! Probably made at the end of the war or early post war years.

Page 6 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast