Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 52 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Article about: Very neat addition to your collection, fine maps indeed. All you need to find is a slight variation and then it is impossible to part with! I will be posting a very rare MI-9 German Identity

Default Re: Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Another example of a British Far Eastern 'Blood chit'. This example is printed on silk and, as can be seen, has been hastily printed causing a number of printing errors. It is shown alongside the other example that I have which is a lot 'crisper'. As can be seen the Union flag on this example is bigger and there is a slight variation in the languages used. It is also interesting to note that despite the English script/phrase being the same there seems to be different characters used in the Chinese and Jawi script/phrase.
    Although I do not know for certain I believe that this is an early example of a British Blood chit as it is printed on silk and not Rayon like the other blood chit and later escape maps for the Far Eastern Theatre of War (the 44 Series)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Default Re: Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

This map was a nice surprise, it was advertised as a silk map, however, when it turned up it turned out to be a tissue map! It covers the bottom of Italy and Yugoslavia
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Attached Images Attached Images Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more! 

This is a rare Bartholomew map covering Iran and the Middle East. It is marked W1 (Syria / Middle East) and W2 (Iran). It is interesting to note that map W1 is similar to map T3, although they are the same scale map W1 is larger than map T3 but does not cover as wider area.

I was recently very lucky and managed to buy three maps from the FGS series (FGS appears to stand for Finland Germany Sweden ), they cover the Scandinavian and Northern Europe region. The FGS Series are quite rare and one of the maps I bought is even rarer in that it is single sided. The FGS series is interesting in that although they all carry FGS codes they do not follow the same pattern like the 43 Series or Bartholomew maps and they are all different.

First up is an early map (identified by the hemmed edge). This is double sided and shows FGS E (Germany, Denmark and Sweden) and 9.C.a (France). 9.C.a was one of the first silk maps and as can be seen on the images it shows through on to the FGS E side

This is the very rare single sided FGS E. There are four maps in the FGS series and all are double sided. As can be seen in this case this map is single sided and although carried the code 'FGS E/9CA' the '9CA' has been blacked out. There are also additions to this map which are not on the double side map, there are a number of stars and what appear to be navigation marks, for example 'Gp Fl (4)ev.20sec'. Unfortunately there is no key on the map to identify these additional marks. The map is also greener in colour than the double side map, which is more similar in colour to the FGS map I originally had, map FGS A/B.

Nice Collection Grimebox the only survival item I have is a C-1 Survival vest.

The final map is like an amalgamation of all of the FGS maps! It is designed and printed in a very similar fashion to the 43 Series of maps.
    It shows FGS A on one side and FGS E on the other. Although the codes are the same as the other maps the area covered in much larger and shown in more detail. I have shown the map alongside it's similarly coded cousins!

'Nice Collection Grimebox the only survival item I have is a C-1 Survival vest.'

I need to get one of those. The problem is when you get it you've got to get all of the little bits to fill all of those pockets!

Haha yeah I only have a few items in it not including the 1911...

A U.S. 'Drinking Water Kit' tin. The kit was basically to be used to make sea water drinkable. It is dated July 1945

Attached Images Attached Images Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more! 

Page 9 of 52 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast