Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 13 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Article about: Very neat addition to your collection, fine maps indeed. All you need to find is a slight variation and then it is impossible to part with! I will be posting a very rare MI-9 German Identity

Default Re: Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Perhaps one of the most ingenious escape compasses (if a little impractical) - the Battledress buckle compass. I have been after one of these for a while and got it for a very reasonable price.

At a quick glance the buckle appears to be standard, however, on closer inspection a small 'sleeve' can be seen which covers a pin and the compass 'head'. The sleeve is pulled back to allow the compass 'head' to be removed and the pin to be pulled out. The compass head is then balanced on the pin.
    The compass itself works extremely well, however, in practical terms it must have been very awkward and fiddly
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Default Re: Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Excellent thread and the BD button compass and buckle compasses are superb.

Not sure if you have seen one of these hidden button compasses. Not mine but shown on another forum. It is for sale for $650, which seems a lot of money, but I have never seen another so I have no idea what the going rate would be.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

A very fine example of the Battledress Buckle Compass, as you mention, seemingly fairly impractical. I just wonder how many of these were actually issued and if they were in fact a success? Regards, Clive.

It's a very nice and rare button compass and one I wouldn't mind for my collection, however, although it is priced at the around the going rate I'm never going to pay that much for one!! (unfortunately, although I love the escape and evasion side of my collection I live by the bigger is better / quantity rather quality rule and for that money I could buy a gun, uniform or 10 silk maps) If you knew what I paid for all the items I have shown here you would be shocked, it takes a lot of time, effort and research to pick these pieces up at reasonable prices. Many a time I have had to sit and watch as items I would love to have have sailed past what I'm willing to pay, but if you wait long enough and look about (in some cases literally scouring the world!) you eventually find what you want at the price you can afford.

I checked all my buttons when I saw this, but sadly I did not have one. I agree, one will turn up for a good price one day.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Don't forget to try turning them the other way! When the Germans discovered the button compasses the crafty boffins at MI9 reversed the thread!

A tissue escape map showing Abyssinia. It is marked 'O' and is in unissued condition, it is shown alongside tissue map 'N' showing Eritrea
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

A selection of the tissue maps that I have
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

An RAF heliograph - in basic terms, it is designed to reflect the sun at passing aircraft in the hope that they see you and you get rescued!!

An RAF 'Knife, Pocket, With Spike (Beadon Suit Use) Stores Ref. 22P/11'
    It is quite a large folding knife fitted with a standard single edged spear-point blade and a similar length non edged spike. Many of these were manufactured by George Ibberson and Company. These knives were issued as part of the Beadon Flying Suit (Lightweight Flying Overall) and the Tropical Survival kit. This example is unmarked.

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Page 13 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast