Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 14 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Article about: Very neat addition to your collection, fine maps indeed. All you need to find is a slight variation and then it is impossible to part with! I will be posting a very rare MI-9 German Identity

Default Re: Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Another handy little booklet to have if you find your self in the thick of it! I believe it was owned by a pilot going by the other items that the seller was selling.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Default Re: Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

A collar stud compass. The compass was made to look like a standard Woolworths collar stud, however, hidden under the white paint was a compass. Traces of the paint can be seen on the edges.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Attached Images Attached Images Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more! 

?

hi

my timer acid box

cheers, hughes

An amazing link (Which I've pinched from Seebee1 / Clive's excellent thread on the WAF!) which, amongst other things, it details how many items were issued to servicemen and sent to P.o.W camps - the numbers involved are quite staggering and contain many items I have never heard of (Special messages on shirts, special blankets for tailoring, Special peanut packs and much more!)

http://www.arcre.com/archive/mi9/is9

Don't you just love that? You think you're doing fine gathering a collection together and all of a sudden along comes someone who shows you Tons of stuff you've never even heard of! lol It keeps the hobby interesting!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

An AAF Cloth Chart covering Vladimiro - Aleksandrovskoye, U.S.S.R and Otomari, Japan. 1944 dated.

Another example of a wartime 'standard' escape compass. This one has a slightly more rolled edge at the top. It is shown alongside two other wartime examples to show the (minor) differences in construction.

Attached Images Attached Images Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more! 

Not escape and evasion but survival. 'Mae West' Life vests of any description are usually very pricey so I was very lucky to get this one at a good price. It is a USAAF Preserver, Pneumatic Life Vest, Type B-5. The B-5 was introduced in December 1944 and did not see much as much service as the B-3 and B-4 during the war. This one is dated July 1945.

This USAAF pilot is wearing an A-10 Summer flying helmet, Polaroid All-purpose goggles, AN-6550 summer flying suit, B-5 'Mae West' life vest and a .45 shoulder holster. Attached to the zip of his flying suit is his 'Acme Thunderer' whistle and around his neck he wears a waterproof match case with inset compass. In front of him a couple of AAF Cloth charts, a cloth survival chart for the navigation of rubber rafts, Pointie Talkie booklet, Drinking Water Kit and escape compass in protective cover.

I had a little plan sometime ago that I would buy some escape maps and bits and pieces that I already have when I see them going cheap with a view of selling them on at a profit. That way I could save up a bit and buy some of the more expensive items. I would recount this to my wife when she said I need to stop spending money on 'WW2 stuff' and that we needed to save money. Her reply to me would always be 'You never sell anything', this would be followed by me saying 'Well I've bought 'X' for 'Y' and it's worth 'Z' followed swiftly by her cutting me down in flames saying 'Your collection isn't worth anything because you are never going to sell it'.
    Well imagine how chuffed I was this week when I picked up a Mulberry leaf tissue map for £20, 'I've got this one' I told her, 'I'll easily double my money' I said with a smug face.
    Here is the map. An early Bartholomew Mulberry leaf tissue escape map with most of Great Britain cut off just like the silk version, but NOT like the example of the tissue map that I already had!! I've resigned myself to the fact that I am a collector and not a militaria dealer and am currently working on a new plan to raise extra cash to fund my addiction.

The map is shown alongside the other tissue map that I have covering Great Britain and the silk the version, as can be seen in the pictures it is about an inch and a half bigger than the silk version.

Quote by pegase View Post
    hi

my timer acid box

cheers, hughes
    What are they different colors?

Page 14 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast