Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 17 of 52 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 ... LastLast

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Article about: Very neat addition to your collection, fine maps indeed. All you need to find is a slight variation and then it is impossible to part with! I will be posting a very rare MI-9 German Identity

Default Re: Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Vest, emergency sustenance, type C-1

Well actually two of them! One of them has the all important and often removed holster, however, has had a couple of the pouches removed from the front. The other one has had the holster removed. They are made by different manufactures and are both in great condition. Apparently trying to find all of the items to fill the pockets can be a bit of thankless task and some pieces are very expensive so I'm not going to rush out and try and get them all!

Here's a link that adds a bit more about the vests

Anaspides.net
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Default Re: Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

I remember when I first saw one of these circa 1979. I was asked to drop it in to the late Micky Ross at "Quartermasters at the Angel" as I was going down to London on one of my regular buying trips (happy days). I was really surprised at the time to discover it was wartime, as it looked so modern.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

A rare early war silk map covering Bulgaria and Romania (Roumania). It is marked 9.T

It is shown with the other two early maps that I have 9.U (Germany) and 9.C.a (France). These early maps were criticised for not having enough detail - The latter maps were criticised for having too much detail!?!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Another Mulberry leaf 'tissue' escape map. This one is marked R1 and covers Bulgaria and Romania (There is a change in spelling from the early silk map shown above).
    I have shown it alongside SI (Italy) which it overlaps
    I have also shown a selection of the tissue maps that I have to show the differences in size and colour (This is just some of them as I couldn't photograph them all together). There does not appear to be a standard size amongst any of the tissue maps. Some of the maps have a feeling and construction like tracing paper whilst others are like a very fine silk. The ones that have been handled more are certainly more fabric like.

I realised that I don't appear to have given this little tissue map it's own spot!

This map is from one of the rarest series of escape maps, the GSGS 3982 series. It covers Klagenfurt and is extremely detailed, also note that unlike the other tissue maps this one is coloured

mjclark
    ?

Hi! I'm new to the forum and am primarily a collector of vintage shaving gear.
    I have just acquired a 1943 Leng shaving brush which appears identical to the brush pictured here: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/airbo...15/#post837379

Anyway here's my brush:

Is it likely that my this brush also contains an escape compass, and if so, what's the right technique for unscrewing the base- it's not yielding to simple twisting with a manual grip.

I don't want to damage the brush and actually it's a great shaving brush- horse hair and boar bristle and I used it this evening with some vintage shaving soap!
    Last edited by mjclark; 06-18-2013 at 08:26 PM.

I have PM'd mjclark - my brush simply unscrewed in the conventional manner. Did they all unscrew or were some solid?

A double sided Bartholomew map showing Scandinavia and The Baltic. Marked F and G

The map is in great condition. Any map covering Scandinavia appears to be relatively rare compared to those covering mainland Europe and North Africa

Another Zones of France map! This one has a story to tell - Unfortunately I don't know what it is as its been lost in the mists of time. The map is heavily stained and has been burnt in two places, this has obviously happened sometime ago as there is no burnt smell to it, whether this damage was caused during the war or after we will never know. The seller stated that it was found in the attic when they were carrying out building work (which might explain the staining). The map is also interesting in that somebody has marked in pen or blue pencil the road from Orleans to Paris (or vice versa), I can't find any other intentional marks on the map.

I think I have enough Zones of France maps now (unless a very rare 1942 dated version comes on the market again)

The drought has passed! After nearly 3 months of not buying anything I managed to pick up this 'round card' escape compass. These style of compasses were the earlier model developed by MI9 before being replaced with the more common 'square card' type. It differs from the other 'round card' compass that I have as the 'card / rotor' is painted black. The glass also sits proud in the compass and appears to have a fine coating of something which has been scratched off over the years, whether this was the original coating on the glass or whether somebody has put something on it to 'matt down' the surface (to avoid reflection from light) I don't know.
    It is shown with other 'standard' compasses, all are slightly different in construction.

Page 17 of 52 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 ... LastLast