Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Event! 17th September

Article about: Hi guys and girls, Im surprised that no-one has picked up on the significance of todays date, 17th September, from the Allies side. As someone who had a relative in the ground troops, (my la

?

Default Event! 17th September

Hi guys and girls,

Im surprised that no-one has picked up on the significance of todays date, 17th September, from the Allies side. As someone who had a relative in the ground troops, (my late grandfather was a serjeant-tank commander in the Grenadier Guards), this date has a special significance.

68 years ago today, on 17th September 1944, the Allies launched the largest combined ground and paratroop/glider borne operation in military history to date. I am, of course, referring to Operation Market-Garden, the Allied attempt to force a corridor through Holland and into the top end of the Reich and thereby, hopefully, shorten the war by some months, if not years.

There have been many truths and myths published about the event, from the single, narrow corridor up which the Guards Armoured Div were forced to advance in an attempt to get to 6 Airborne Div at Arnhem, via the bridges held by the US 101st and 82nd AB Divs, to the drop and landing zones being up to 8 miles away from the Arnhem bridge, to the "old favourite" of the entire operation plans being found in a downed glider and then discounted as fake by the German high command on the ground.

Whatever the facts and fiction of the entire operation, a lot of brave soldiers, (Axis as well as Allied), and civilians were either injured or lost their lives.

On this day, for all I say:Regardless of uniform, your job is done, you can now re-org' and Rest in Peace

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Default Re: Event! 17th September

Hi Ian. Check this........Arnhem Anniversary Today ~ Spare a Thought

My Grandfather was in the ground push too, as part of XXX Corps. He was a Despatch Rider.

Regards

Martin

?

Missed that one Martin, thanks for the link mate.

What is not commonly known is that, although XXX Corps, led by Guards Armoured Div "went up the corridor" and got "hammered", they were also "flank supported" by 6 Guards Armoured Brigade, consisting of 4th Btn Grenadier Guards, 4th Btn Coldstream Guards and 3rd Btn Scots Guards who also got a hammering, but not as bad as the Airborne lads and G.A.D.

My grandfather was in HQ Squadron 4thGG

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

my father was on the push he did'nt like either.