Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ex Paras take note

Article about: Well the patch isnt one of the recognised ones used, either 1 2 or 3 para and according to my pal who was 3 para early seventies to early eighties, hes never seen or heard of one, it certain

Default Ex Paras take note

Any info on this Para brazzard very welcome. The DZ patch is brown , looked at the rear and also brown. I can find no brown DZ patch listed in my books. Maybe it is not British, get head scratching lads, John.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ex Paras take note   Ex Paras take note  

Default Re: Ex Paras take note

is it possible that its desert issue??

Quote by panzerjaeger44 View Post
    is it possible that its desert issue??
    Hi, yes, for use in middle or far east, its the brown DZ patch that baffles me, John.

I am certain it is British, but as DZ patches are postwar, they are outside of my collecting experience. Still a nice item though.

Cheers, Ade.

ian
    ?

this seems typical of the 60s -70s type of brasard made by regimental tailors
    during that time even to get rank badges was nearly imposable (sucsesive labour mod cuts ) thats why we have the knick name TAPE for ncos stripes
    try the para regemental assosiation they may be able to shed some light on the DZ patch you can find them on the net and im sure they would be very helpfull cheers ian

?

Never seen a brown DZ patch before !!!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Never seen a brown DZ patch before !!!
    That is what is baffling me. I have some excellent reference books on D/Z patches but none of them shows a brown patch,thanks for looking. John

?

well looking at your brassard it looks like some bleach has seen it at some point-or it has been boil washed with lots of persil. Why? Well look at the blue of the wings and see how faded it is and then look at the state of the felt of the DZ patch-its almost going back to its pre felted state. That would lead me to suggest that the patch had been in a previous life one of the other colours-most likely blue OR black-implying 2 Para or 4 Para?

The brazard is certainly 60-70's, I used to use one myself, the brown patch no idea, ref the colour could it have been anything to do with the Suez or Cyprus campaign?
    Ben

Thanks for your reply Andy T, the picture makes the blue wings appear much lighter than they are.

Ben, thanks for your reply, Essentially I am trying to find out if anyone rembers seeing a set of Para. wings sewn over the stripes as these are. I know that in the early days of the formation of the Parachute Regiment the wings were worn in this way until an order came out mooving them up the sleeve so as to not interfere with the stripes, Thanks all, John.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast