Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

KD tunic with removed para wings

Article about: by Battery Command Post I can't tell if you're joking. If you are: lol If not: Scots Gds aren't a kilted/'trewed' (if such a word exists) regiment Rob I was joking. Bombay bloomers it is the

Default Re: KD tunic with removed para wings

Quote by Bond View Post
    I thought the sewing holes outlined something that looks a bit smaller than the Pegasus patch. He might be jump qualified but not in an airborne unit and might be guards armoured or G patrol LRDG etc... I assumed that it was possible to do the jump training without being in the Paras, though I have to admit I don't know the intracacies of the Paras.
    Yes of course it was possible to wear the parachutists badge without being a member of the Parachute Regt, I'm just trying to think of a likely combination of KD, Scots Guards, and patches of the right shape.

A very likely possibility that came to mind is that the patch could be BETFOR (British Element Trieste Force), as 1st Scots Gds were part of this from May 1945 until May 1946. The patch in this scenario would have been:

Being a part of the garrison in Trieste would explain the rather dressy nature of the patching, and the reason for using KD regularly in the first place. It doesn't explain the parachutists badge directly but, of course, officers from LRDG units were returned to their parent regiments in 1945, so it could even fit in with that theory too.

Anyway, BETFOR is the best theory i have

Rob

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    Yes of course it was possible to wear the parachutists badge without being a member of the Parachute Regt, I'm just trying to think of a likely combination of KD, Scots Guards, and patches of the right shape.

A very likely possibility that came to mind is that the patch could be BETFOR (British Element Trieste Force), as 1st Scots Gds were part of this from May 1945 until May 1946. The patch in this scenario would have been:

Being a part of the garrison in Trieste would explain the rather dressy nature of the patching, and the reason for using KD regularly in the first place. It doesn't explain the parachutists badge directly but, of course, officers from LRDG units were returned to their parent regiments in 1945, so it could even fit in with that theory too.

Anyway, BETFOR is the best theory i have

Rob
    Many thanks Rob, that does look a good candidate and the seller told me he removed some blue thread left in one of the patches. I wonder if it is possible to find out the size of the BETFOR patch?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Bond View Post
    Many thanks Rob, that does look a good candidate and the seller told me he removed some blue thread left in one of the patches. I wonder if it is possible to find out the size of the BETFOR patch?
    Sounds like we're onto a winner here! I don't know what the dimesions of the badge were, I've never actually owned one (I got the picture from the internet).

Technically, it's the badge of the 24th Infantry Brigade, known at various times as 24th Guards Independent infantry Brigade, 24th (Guards) Brigade and 24th (Guards) Independent Brigade Group. They retained their badge during their time in Trieste, although the badge of HQ BETFOR was the old 13th Corps badge of a gazelle in a red diamond.

Maybe someone on this forum has an example of this badge for size?

Rob

Sounds like we're onto a winner here! I don't know what the dimesions of the badge were, I've never actually owned one (I got the picture from the internet).

Technically, it's the badge of the 24th Infantry Brigade, known at various times as 24th Guards Independent infantry Brigade, 24th (Guards) Brigade and 24th (Guards) Independent Brigade Group. They retained their badge during their time in Trieste, although the badge of HQ BETFOR was the old 13th Corps badge of a gazelle in a red diamond.

Rob
    Hi Rob, may thanks for all your input on this, you have been a real star, IMO.
    Regards,

Jerry

Hi Jerry, great item. I really like it too.

Rob has already given as much info as I could possibly give you.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks Ade. All I need now is some period wings, BETFOR patches and maybe some Scots Guards buttons and Pips!
    Regards,

Jerry

Rob
    I managed to find a Pair of the other BETFOR patch for sale and might buy them, though it's the 24th brigade type that I want to restore this tunic, if anyone has some.
    Attached Images Attached Images KD tunic with removed para wings 
    Regards,

Jerry

Some more variations on the 24th (guards) infantry brigade patch, including one from a BETFOR veteran. One is thought to be a copy.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KD tunic with removed para wings  
    Regards,

Jerry

I have a pair of para wings in the post and also the second of the pair of BETFOR patches. One has arrived and has been sewn back on. Just waiting for these two and then I suppose I'll have to get some Scots guards buttons and rank pips to complete it. Oh and a belt maybe!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KD tunic with removed para wings  
    Regards,

Jerry

The tunic with the restored insignia. All I need now is the correct SG buttons and pips.
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast