Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

More Help Please...

Article about: Alright f you read my gas mask forum i was at a local thrift store when i ran a across a cool gas mask set, as well as this. I have no earthly idea what it is, the guy there said he was told

Default More Help Please...

Alright f you read my gas mask forum i was at a local thrift store when i ran a across a cool gas mask set, as well as this. I have no earthly idea what it is, the guy there said he was told they were dropped by the thousands from aircraft during world war II, as like a raining bullets kinda thing. I just want some assurance or truth to what it really is. Any helps appreciated

Default Re: More Help Please...

Yes indeed the flechette was dropped from aircraft from WW2 to Vietnam-from any height they are utterly lethal, cheap to make and no after effect UXO (unexploded ordinance) to worry about-there was a thread about them a year or so ago.

The name for these nasty little air drop projectiles are "Lazy Dogs". They were used at the end of WWII and well through and on up into the Viet Nam era. When thousands of these things were dropped from aircraft bins at a considerable height, they would be absolutely lethal and would penetrate through any helmet,body armor and many types of shelters. There was quite abit of discussion on these little bomblets being considered unethical and dirty weapons. I remember in the 60's, buying these things in the Army Surplus shops for kids toys and curios. I think I still have a few laying around here somewhere. There were 2 different types-the lathe turned steel shinier kind was abit later and the parkerized type was the earlier.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

They remind me of the WW1 versions of flechette's .

More Help Please...More Help Please...More Help Please...More Help Please...

These things were nasty.At terminal velocity they could penetrate a helmet and exit your you know what.
    Thanks for posting your WW2 example,an interesting item.
    Cheers
    Dave
    Welcome to the forum mate

Imagine a bucket of these dropping on you,scary monsters.

More Help Please...
    Last edited by Thanatos; 04-03-2012 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Added image