Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

need help, how to identify a US WW2 Airborne helmet

Article about: Hi folks, I'm a guncollector, on that subject i know a lot. However, i need an original US WW2 airborne helmet 101 or 82nd. How can i identify a reel one from a fake/clone/copy? I'm aware th

?

Default need help, how to identify a US WW2 Airborne helmet

Hi folks,
    I'm a guncollector, on that subject i know a lot.
    However, i need an original US WW2 airborne helmet 101 or 82nd.

How can i identify a reel one from a fake/clone/copy?
    I'm aware they cost some money. I'm about to buy some in a private museum that is closing.
    Are there any up for sale here?

Thanks
    Paco

?

Default Re: need help, how to identify a US WW2 Airborne helmet

I very much doubt you'll find one. They are rare as hen's teeth, very hard to prove real, and can cost tens of thousands. I'd wait for some M1 experts to chime in.

You’ll be lucky! The last original unmarked airborne M2 i seen for sale was i think about a year and a half ago.
    M1c,s come up from time to time but again finding one with an original decal would be like tripping on a bar of gold.
    Be careful with museums that are closing down as a lot of them apparently have a lot of helmets that have been made to look like an authentic representation of a particular unit ect.
    If you get a chance post pictures of anything you find interesting.
    You can buy good copies from the likes of top pots.
    Rod

Well Paco the best of luck to you because you will certainly need a lot of it.most "D" bales were painted as we know in the field.fact no1-most helmets of the 101st according to Mark Bando were repainted prior to being shipped back stateside,so unless you are on terms with a living vet there's no hope that way,however some that remained in europe through being dropped/lost during combat were found and placed in museums,but even if that particular musuem closed,with the inner circle etc so to speak it would be gone before you even got a sniff,here are some examples for sale and recently sold to give you an idea.................Jake.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture need help, how to identify a US WW2 Airborne helmet   need help, how to identify a US WW2 Airborne helmet  

need help, how to identify a US WW2 Airborne helmet  

The top left picture is of a standard Westinghouse airborne liner with no markings...........£1200.the top right shows airborne glider regiment however liner is a Seamans Paper Company Infantry liner in a poor state however it sold and was marked up at..........£1250.the complete non marked M1C is around the £2650 mark.........so expensive to boot...............Jake.

?

To give you an idea, here's an unmarked M-2 on M1helmetdepot.com. It's attributed to a vet who was in OSS and the 82nd AB.....Asking price is $17K.

M-1 Helmet Depot — M-2 paratrooper grouping ID'd to 82nd AB and OSS Vet

?

If they are offering M1C's or that is what you are looking for (not really sure as you ask if any are for sale here, however you plan on buying some from a museum?), this will be a little less heavy on the pocket as Jake has pointed out.

If it has an Inland AB liner, the liner itself, depending on condition and if it has it's original leather chincup, can command $1500+.

A complete Westinghouse AB liner (Khaki chincup) will command less at around $400+.

For just an M1C shell, you're looking at $200+.

?

Quote by Nitram View Post
    I very much doubt you'll find one. They are rare as hen's teeth, very hard to prove real, and can cost tens of thousands. I'd wait for some M1 experts to chime in.
    if this might help

paco

to hard to tell from images but condition looks a little to good to me !!

?

the owner started in Belgium in 1946 to collect all he could find

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast