Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nijmegen Drop gas mask and canteen relic

Article about: I been offered a gas mask and canteen with cup from the US Paratrooper drop at Nijmegen. They were dug up along with parachute harnesses etc from same hole. Nice relic condition. My question

Default Nijmegen Drop gas mask and canteen relic

I been offered a gas mask and canteen with cup from the US Paratrooper drop at Nijmegen. They were dug up along with parachute harnesses etc from same hole. Nice relic condition.

My question is, was the Para equipment marked in some way? Otherwise how am I to know it was airborne? It does come from a trusted relic buyer in Holland who bought from the digger.

What would you guys pay for a set like this?

Thks

Default Re: Nijmegen Drop gas mask and canteen relic

I know that the US airborne equipment wasn't marked on a special way so it would be difficult to authenticate it's origins.

As Lizardking says. There would have been no special markings on these items so you will just have to take the seller's word for it.

Just be aware that you only have the sellers word about where they came from. It is a relatively common practice to claim an item has been dug from a specific area to inflate the cost. For example, take simple little 7.92mm German cartridge, ww2 dated and in good, but relic, condition. £2 at the most. Now say you found it below the sea wall at Vierville, and suddenly it becomes £20. Be careful and pay a fair price for the items, but take it with a pinch of salt that they came from Nijmegen.

?

I don't think Airborne guys carried gas masks on this drop or any other.

They did carry gas mask no special makings but the bag to carry them were made special for airborne troops the inside was rubber
    chris

Thanks for the info. Seller wants $85 US for the pair. In good relic condition with good hose to cansister and US markings still partially visible. I try and get a photo later. My info has the later war Paratroops dropping with full gear including gas mask & bag. The early set ups had the large equipment bags that dropped seperately.

photo
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Nijmegen Drop gas mask and canteen relic  

This looks more like Army infantry gear than airborne to me.
    WW1 canteen,also this type of gas mask was really not used by airborne units.
    chris

Thanks, shovel is Ardennes area.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast