Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Nijmegen Drop gas mask and canteen relic

Article about: I been offered a gas mask and canteen with cup from the US Paratrooper drop at Nijmegen. They were dug up along with parachute harnesses etc from same hole. Nice relic condition. My question

Default Re: Nijmegen Drop gas mask and canteen relic

The filter on the gasmask..........did it contain asbestos or was that just the British ones? If it does, and the cannister is damaged, I wouldn't have it within 10 miles of my house !

Default Re: Nijmegen Drop gas mask and canteen relic

Hello, any info on this mask? What year made? Could it be a Paratrooper mask?

Thanks

Quote by Steve T View Post
    The filter on the gasmask..........did it contain asbestos or was that just the British ones? If it does, and the cannister is damaged, I wouldn't have it within 10 miles of my house !
    I'm not too sure about the American ones, however I wouldn't rule it out. Its not just asbestos that can be nasty, most filters tend to degrade over time and can release small particles which aren't very nice to inhale hence why I personally tend to keep away from relics or damaged filters.

Thanks

Danny

The Gas mask, is a Stand Service gas mask.. Elements of airborne forces had them.. well what i should say is had the bag, prefect man bag. the mask very often got dumped!! this was introduced around Early 44, saw action on Dday but some units (not Airborne really.. maybe glider trooper)

As far as asbestos goes, I'm not going to put it on my head lol. The canister is too much in relic form to add any sealent. I will just wrap it up in clear plastic and that's it. The canteen is dated 1943.

Thks for additional info Daz. I think that hole was just an after war cleanup that had airborne goods with possibly army mixed in. Take the sellers word or not? He is a proven trusted guy from Netherlands. It could have been ariborne or not? I will display it as "found with airborne chutes".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2