Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Oh My.. The Find of the Year!

Article about: Wow !

Default Re: Oh My.. The Find of the Year!

The white, red and blue oval with parachute embroidered into it is an Airborne Command Jump Wing Oval... worn above the left breast pocket.

The blue patch with white star with 7 points is for the U.S. 7th Service Command

The patch with the big red and white "2" is for the U.S. 2nd Army

Thanks!

I bought this from a guy, who was holding for another man.... who was living in a van. The guy I purchased it from never opened the trunk but told me what was probably in side, "WWII stuff". The guy who is living in his van is the son of this Paratrooper. It was going to be thrown out, and I gave the guy some money to give to his friend in the van. The reason I am considering selling this is, to get money for that guy. In North Dakota right now we have an economic BOOM. For the last 3 years we have been pumping out more oil then most middle east countries. But, rent and cost of living went out of control. Rent used to be $550 for a two bed room apartment, now in some places for the same apartment $2,000. Anyone, enough about the rant. What would this be worth? I love it, and would love to keep it. but, i'm not in the place right now to keep it for myself.

The blue circular patch with white center and red AAs is an anti-aircraft artillery patch.

My guess for the book patch is a sleeve insignia designating a clerk or some other "job" within the military.

Amazing.

Beautiful grouping.

Quote by NDShooter View Post
    What would this be worth? I love it, and would love to keep it. but, i'm not in the place right now to keep it for myself.
    In my honest opinion, it's hard to put a price on such a big group. If I were you, I'd check the sites of trusted dealers for similar items and put together a running tally of what they are asking for items that match yours.

You're lucky in that Airborne items are immensely popular.

Assuming you didn't shell out your life-savings for the trunk, which I guess you didn't as you didn't know what was in it in the first place, why not consider donating the trunk and entire contents to the National WWII Museum of New Orleans? As others have said it is rare to find such a complete collection of a serviceman's history and I am sure a museum would be very interested to acquire such a potentially unique collection.

The paratrooper served his country and think what a great service it would also be to share his memory with all those thousands that visit the National WWII Museum every year?

Just my opinion
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    Assuming you didn't shell out your life-savings for the trunk, which I guess you didn't as you didn't know what was in it in the first place, why not consider donating the trunk and entire contents to the National WWII Museum of New Orleans? As others have said it is rare to find such a complete collection of a serviceman's history and I am sure a museum would be very interested to acquire such a potentially unique collection.

The paratrooper served his country and think what a great service it would also be to share his memory with all those thousands that visit the National WWII Museum every year?

Just my opinion
    I like the idea, but I did pay a little bit for it. I will keep it in mind.
    Thanks
    Cody

Donating items is tough... I wanted to donate my Japanese T90 helmet from Iwo Jima... but a lot of people on this forum dissuaded me. Often, donated items sit in museum storage and never get displayed.

Thats why I would have to make sure something like this was used and displayed, before I gave it away.

Quote by NDShooter View Post
    Thats why I would have to make sure something like this was used and displayed, before I gave it away.
    What's worse is that I've heard of museums selling off their inventory to stay "in the black" or fund other projects!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast