Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Orginal British Airborne Radio Jeep...

Article about: Hello Again! More pics... Best regards Emil

Default Re: Orginal British Airborne Radio Jeep...

Hi Rob, re the rear mounted spare wheel. Although not this one in the pic: in 1945 they kept the spare wheel on the rear panel but moved the fixing over to one side but about 6 inches or so. They kept the right hand set of holes (these then became the left hand set) and moved the mount over.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Rob, re the rear mounted spare wheel. Although not this one in the pic: in 1945 they kept the spare wheel on the rear panel but moved the fixing over to one side but about 6 inches or so. They kept the right hand set of holes (these then became the left hand set) and moved the mount over.

Cheers, Ade.
    Oh I see, that's something I didn't know. I had often wondered about the radiator mounted wheel, as every re-enactormobile you ever see has a front mounted wheel, but they don't appear in every wartime pic.

Rob

?

Emil

I have the Working Instructions for the Wireless Set No 22 Airborne Station (which is what your Jeep was) in PDF format if you don't already have it. If you want it I'll send it to you. Here is one of the pages:

Interestingly, the Jeep shown has the spare wheel in normal position on the back, not attached to the grille.

Rob

Yes Please Rob!!!
    I don´t have that working instruction...
    My email adress: emil.bruce@spray.se
    Many Thanks!!!
    Best regards

Emil

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    Oh I see, that's something I didn't know. I had often wondered about the radiator mounted wheel, as every re-enactormobile you ever see has a front mounted wheel, but they don't appear in every wartime pic.

Rob
    Glad to help. I went to the National Archives back in 1993 and I got a large set of blueprints from the files on Airborne Jeeps. Cost me an arm and a leg. This shows exactly all the holes should be drilled etc. Much more that the usual construction plans which have been widely published since then.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Glad to help. I went to the National Archives back in 1993 and I got a large set of blueprints from the files on Airborne Jeeps. Cost me an arm and a leg. This shows exactly all the holes should be drilled etc. Much more that the usual construction plans which have been widely published since then.

Cheers, Ade.
    Awesome That doesn't surprise me at all, that you would go to the original source material. I suppse that's the difference between a properly restored jeep and a 're-enactormobile'

Rob

Quote by Emil View Post
    Yes Please Rob!!!
    I don´t have that working instruction...
    My email adress: emil.bruce@spray.se
    Many Thanks!!!
    Best regards

Emil
    OK, I'll get that sent to you. I also have a PDF of the Fitting Instructions for the WS22 in a non-airborne jeep. I'll send you that one too. Although it's a different configuration that your jeep would have been, it still has relevant information on jeep-based WS22 stations, that will no doubt be useful to you

Rob

?

Hello Guys!

Thanks Rob for the PDF files!!! They will be great to have!!!

Here is more pics...

Did find those holes... Machine Gun mount holes... This Jeep will be expensive to make... with all parts to Make/buy...

The front tire holder fitted like a glove in the orginal holes in the frame!

More holes... To fastened the passenger seat with a U bolt...

Nice marking on the rear seat...

Best regards

Emil Bruce
    Sweden

?

Hello Guys!

Here are more pics...

Holes on top for brackets "legs"

New bumper...

Best regards

Emil

Looking good!

Cheers, Ade.

I saw one last year!
    and a few on a tour in Normandie, I want one my self
    With a 30.cal on the back

?

Hello Again!

More pics!
    And a question... Adrian?
    Do somebody have a picture how it should look like without the step on the right side?
    Will replace some rusted out panels there soon....
    Don´t know if there are some diffrence when they did take away the steps on Ford GPW/ Willys MB? The steps are diffrent...

When putting some paint from the underside of the Jeep i found some tubes from underside of the machine gun mount... did push them up.
    When i did crawl up i found these on the floor!!!

Some new panels...

Best regards

Emil

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast