Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Orginal British Airborne Radio Jeep...

Article about: Hello Again! More pics... Best regards Emil

Default Re: Orginal British Airborne Radio Jeep...

never leave things lying around. the little lady will always find a use for them !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Orginal British Airborne Radio Jeep...  

Great looking project! What are the dates on the .303 rounds? Must have been a nice surprise to find them inside, they are a big part of the Jeep's history.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Quote by Emil View Post
    Hello Again! More pics!
    And a question... Adrian? Do somebody have a picture how it should look like without the step on the right side? Will replace some rusted out panels there soon....DonĀ“t know if there are some diffrence when they did take away the steps on Ford GPW/ Willys MB? The steps are different....Best regards, Emil
    Ford type are slightly different than Willys, but it is really
    only in the mounting holes.........
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 03-12-2012 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Removal of Mistakes.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Hi Emil, I will try and find some pics for you which show the "damage" after the foot steps were cut off as part of the Airborne mods.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Ade, why the removal ?
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Hello Guys!

Yeaaa That basket with flowers i would have!!!
    The rounds are dated 1942 and 1944! Very nice to find some history things in the Jeep!!! Very happy to find them!
    The older man (80year) i did buy the Jeep from did have a leak in the gas tank... when he put the tank away he did find that a round had maked a little hole in the gas tank... That round he did have as display in his home... but his wife cleaned that away...
    Steve... I think most Airborne Jeeps did not have right steps on... They where cut away for loading the Jeep in to a Horsa Glider.
    Willys steps are in one piece with the hole "front"panel.
    Ford GPW do have loose steps that are spot welded to the sides.
    My right step that was on my Jeep when i did bought it are a rewelded repro step.
    I will try to figerout how to cut the new panel for looking that the step have been cut away!
    Best regards!

Emil Bruce
    Sweden

?

Hello Adrian!

Ok! Thanks!!!
    Best regards

Emil

Seems a strange thing to do, as they do not protrude from the fenders,
    and sit flush with them. Or was it to reduce overall weight
    as much as possible.........? ! ?
    Regards,

Steve.

Hi Steve, it was in order to get it into the Horsa MkI glider: it was a tight turn into the fuselarge.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Pic as promised. It is hard to find a good clear shot. Taken in Norway in 1945.

But I think you get the idea? The area where the step met the body is cut away just leaving the top hat section under the body showing.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Orginal British Airborne Radio Jeep...  

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast