MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Orginal British Airborne Radio Jeep...

Article about: Hello Again! More pics... Best regards Emil

?

Default Re: Orginal British Airborne Radio Jeep...

Ok!
    I will send them a mail and tell them that!
    More parts will come...
    Thanks!

Emil

memories. the Mod's Jeep in the centre with the Pack 75 round ammo containers on the bonnet. I seem to remember someone suggesting the use of black printer's ink for the Mickey Mouse camouflage pattern on trailer canvas cover. I ended up like Al Jolson for about a week !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Orginal British Airborne Radio Jeep...  

That was took a few years back! I cannot even remember which show that was taken at?

I suggested printers ink. Works great Mammy!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Hello Again!

Really nice to see your pictures!!!
    I will in the future try to buy a Trailer for my Jeep also!
    I do have some US trailers but no British Airborne Trailer!
    When did you guy´s start/buy your AB Jeeps?
    I´m really new on the British Airborne Jeeps...
    Did make me a Ford GPW 1943 as a 101 AB Jeep and Bantam Trailer, but did sell that when buying a seccond house, that i now do hire out flats in that house.
    Here is my ex Jeep/trailer on my friends Webpage:
    Classic Jeep Parts
    He does sell The best repro parts you can get... for MB/GPW!!! I can recomend it!
    Best regards

Emil

?

Hello,

I have stumbled upon this web page which has answered a few questions for me.

I have an 1943 Willys Airborne Jeep - in near original condition.

If you carefully remove the paint near the rear spare wheel area a Blue Pegasus should/ may appear.

It should have been painted (although a transfer could have been used) directly onto the olive drab paint.

The front spare wheel carrier was probably in two pieces placed on either side of the chassis. The one piece device sometimes seen is taken from conceptual drawings and not necessarily universal.

Remember 'Weight' was the prime consideration for Airborne Jeeps - anything that was not essential was stripped off to save precious weight.

A sad fact is that when D-Day came the number of Gliders available was not sufficient so many the Devonshire's Jeeps went by sea.

I hope these few ramblings will be of use

Could you tell me the wording on the small oblong nomenclature plate fitted in the middle of the dashboard.

Are they the same as the standard small nomenclature plate fitted in this area to British Army Jeeps or are they differently worded?

All the best,
    Tim K.

Hi Tim, welcome to the forum!

I, and I am sure other readers, would love to see your Jeep.

Please see this thread about my Jeep:

My Jeep and it's history

Within it, Emil has posted a link to his photobucket account. Lots of good pics there. Please see Post number 37. You will see the data plate is the standard Truck 1/4 ton US plate found on later Jeeps.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Hello Tim!

Great to have a Airborne Jeep!!! Any pictures?
    I haven´t found any Blue Pegasus yet...
    My Jeep was not with the two piece wheel carrier... My frame did have those holes drilled. When i did get the one piece front wheel carrier home from UK, i did put it on and the holes did match the frame. But i have seen that the amunition carrier did have the same holes also... But no holes or something for holding the straps for it on the front grill. So i do think it possible did have the one piece wheel carrier sometime in the war. This is a late Ford GPW and the one piece are for late war.
    Sorry! My data plates are some repro junk they did put it on sometime in the past.
    So i don´t have the right date of delivery...
    Here is a link to my pictures:
    British Airborne Jeep pictures by swedeherbie - Photobucket
    Best regards

Emil

?

New panels in place...

But... on my Jeep there was "new" steps on right and left side!?
    Did the British Airborne also cut away the left ones also??? Sometimes?
    The hat channels for the steps are not under the steps... Ok they are rusted out... but there are no trace for any hat channels under the left one either!???
    Best regards
    Emil

?

Please... I would need some pictures where to put the home made footman loops on front seats!
    Do the British Airborne always have Jerry can holders on the floor behind the front seats???
    I do have those footman loops on floor but don´t know if my holes on my floor really are for the jerry can holders...???

Best regards

Emil Bruce
    Sweden

The Jerricans sit directly on the floor not in holders.

My Jeep had both steps cut off, so that is fine.

I am at a loss to explane the holes in the rear floor.

Nice work!

Cheers, Ade.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast