Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Para beret from ebay

Article about: I'm not saying I'm right......there's always others who know more, I'm merely making my own observations. No need to beat yourself up either, it happens. As I have mentioned before, I was do

Default Re: Para beret from ebay

I'm not saying I'm right......there's always others who know more, I'm merely making my own observations. No need to beat yourself up either, it happens. As I have mentioned before, I was done up to the tune of over $1,000 by someone considered across the world by some as the leading expert in his field - who better to pull a fast one!

In fairness, the dealer may not know either - he seems to sell mainly badges and buttons so would not necessarily spot a dud beret. If he's a decent sort, you should be able to get a refund. The problem will come if he disputes the case.

Hi guys have just spoke to Airborne museum Duxford and they can confirm this Private Bradley 14849700 did complete a 1st airborne Division course in Feb 1945 whilst attached to the RAMC.They are puzzled to why so many details are written in the hat but say it could be done after his service they have no access to records for his service prior to the course mentioned.I have asked them to email this accross which they shall do this afternoon.Andy

Sorry forgot to add the course was at Ringway in Feb 45.

That is a bit more encouraging.

As I said before, the beret cover could be wartime or equally post war. The lining we are agreed is messed with. The label will certainly be post war added. For what you paid, it is what it is.

Cheers, Ade.

A bit happier now thanks was starting to feel down about it!

jdr
    ?

It looks like this could be a wartime beret as described in my auction with label that was added either during the war or post-war. We will never know for sure.

The lot of items came directly from the person's son and I have no reason to believe that anyone has written the labels to deceive. Maybe it was done by the veteran post-war as a memento? The details check out as the buyer has confirmed. The O.C. are the initials of the person! He was not "Officer, Commanding".

The beret has been tailored by removing part of the lining. This was clearly described in the auction.

No one has been done up like a kipper - it was only £40 and the auction was described very honestly.

Wartime dated berets are very sort after. The 1944 dated example that came with this, I sold for £600. I have a queue of people wanting them. I have 7 original wartime dated examples myself. This is an area of great interest for me so a dodgy one wouldn't slip through as mentioned earlier.

Jack Dutton-Roberts

jdr
    ?

If the buyer still wants a refund, I'm more than happy.

It didn't sell for a lot and I reckon I could get more on my website.

ian
    ?

just a quick one for skypilot
    the SAS get a bit miffed if you call them 22nd ,they are 22, ie two,two sas
    as with there TA counterparts two,one and two,three SAS
    cheers ian

Hi Jack, welcome to the forum! Nice to see you here.

Cheers, Ade.

Actually Jack i am happy with the beret and for £41.00 i am still happy i was only concerned as i took the advice of people on here with greater knowledge than me on the subject of Paratrooper berets/items.As for being done up like a kipper i thought i had so my apologies but at the time i was annoyed ebay is a place to tread wisely as i know so many people who have been caught out on it and i thought i was one of them like i said i am more than happy to keep the item and it is already on display on a glass head.Yes you are correct they are expensive and sought after and i intend to buy a dated example very soon.I hope this clears the situation and all is put correct.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast