Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Photo of unknown US Paratrooper

Article about: Picked up this photo of a unknown US Paratrooper

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    Looks like an 82nd patch minus the airborne above it. Or a 508th patch both are square with a circle in the middle . Gary
    Yeah, I thought of the 82nd without tab but figured that a blue disc with white letters would show up even in a poor picture of the period and couldn't image an "Airborne" soldier wanting to be photographed if he were without the much prized "Airborne" tab. Never considered the 508th as I have never seen it with a square background instead of just the circle?

Regards
    Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Gary,

My exact thoughts was that this was a 508th Patch.. The white center vs the blue center oval for the 82nd...If we could just make out some of the details of the image inside the oval...

Here is the 508th patch with the white oval...

@ Mark.. The ribbon does look like the EAME campaign ribbon.. but I believe this version of the 508th patch was used post war....

@ Gary... Any thoughts???

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Photo of unknown US Paratrooper  

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Gary,

My exact thoughts was that this was a 508th Patch.. The white center vs the blue center oval for the 82nd...If we could just make out some of the details of the image inside the oval...

@ Mark.. The ribbon does look like the EAME campaign ribbon.. but I believe this version of the 508th patch was used post war....

Smitty
    Thanks Smitty, I figured you would have a good answer

I haven't seen a 508th patch like that before but I am happy to go with you here.

The lack of contrast and the old monochrome photogography would probably produce such a result.

Was it worn without a tab?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Nice interesting photo ,
    Late war or even Post War taken.
    Here is some of my my US Glider cap patches for reference.
    As a timeline of evolution.
    Hope it is of interest.

Earliest - Expeditionary Force - Wool Felt

Attachment 1426733

Attachment 1426734

Next - Light Blue Edging early War.

Attachment 1426735

Attachment 1426736

Next - Red Edging.

Attachment 1426737

Attachment 1426738

Next - Combined with Red Edging 44 on.

Attachment 1426739

Attachment 1426740

Cheers Rick

?

I forgot to mention that the early to mid war 42-43 Glider patches are not round - See Above.

The are almost slightly egg shaped , see both of my Light Blue & Red Edging examples.

There are lots of examples of Garrison cap's with patches floating around that are perfectly round , so I would give them a miss

Cheers Rick

@ Mark

The 508th patch that I posted is post WW2 era, and I do know that this insignia with corresponding blue Airborne tab was worn post war by members of the 82nd Airborne division. During the whole Pentomic Division era which lasted a short period of time there were periods of time when odd Regimental Combat Team patches were worn.

On the Cover of Shelby Stanton's Book " US Army Uniforms of the Cold War 1948-1973" the front cover shows members of 3rd Battalion 508th Infantry Regiment wearing the insignia while stationed at Fort Kobe, Panama in the 1960s.

Not to get off the beaten path with the original topic, it is possible that this is a WW2 era picture (Late War) and the patch is in fact 82nd Airborne without the AIRBORNE Tab..... It is so obscured that it may be difficult to actually determine, but the ribbon which we have most likely determined to be the EAME ribbon would tie this photo to WW2...

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Photo of unknown US Paratrooper  

Thanks Smitty, forgive me but I am smiling at the words Pentomic Division and "odd" in the same sentence every body knows that the triangle is the strongest shape right? Long live the Triangular Division with it's three brigades of three regiments of three battalions apiece (alright, the three battalions is a bit of a pipe dream these days!)

Regards

Mark

Mark,

Couldn't agree with you more with your assessment.. I guess Geometry in High School was important...

Smitty

?

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Gary,

Smitty
    I agree that this is the patch on the sleeve in the photo.
    If you compare it to the cap patch border which appears to be black , but we all know that it is red.
    Cheers Rick

Rick,

Thanks for additional confirmation.. It always helps to have more eyes on target...

Best regards

Smitty

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast