Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sad News: Peter Matthews

Article about: I shall miss my neighbour and friend Pete. I had the pleasure of copying and enlarging his wartime photo's, will also miss chatting over a drink in the local. Pete was a fine gentleman and a

Default Sad News: Peter Matthews

Hi Guys, I knew Peter from my trips to the South of France and I know he was a friend to Navyman (Guy) on the forum.

RIP Peter!

I have added this text sent to me by my French friends:

One of the spiritual fathers of Jean Michel Soldi and Eric Renoux, founders of the Airborne Museum de la liberation of Le Muy passed away this morning.

Peter Matthews was one of the best supporters of their action to paying free tribute to the legacy of the Airborne in operation Dragoon, he was one of those brave paratrooper landed on southern France “D”day and he died this morning aged of 88 .

The most popular British Veterans known in Provence, proud to have never missed a ceremony since the first time he came back to inaugurate the Museum, including this summer in spite of the sikness he was fighting against.
    Awarded of the Legion of Honor in August 2004, Peter had always supported their action including with his daughter Sue, his son in Law Alan and his friend Chris Compton to request help of the parachute regiment of the British army during the terrible flood of June 15th, 2010 who destroyed the Museum.
    18 years of fidelity in the ceremonies of La Motte, Le Muy, but also Trans and Draguignan cemetery.

He was 17 when he joined the parachute regiment and battling in numerous campaigns As North Africa, Italy with the battles of Cassino, then He had been parachuted at daylight on the 15th of august 1944 on the hill of les béllugues between Le Muy and La Motte with the 4th battalion of the British parachute regiment, he also dropped in Greece, and took part in restoring Palestine in 1947.
    his kindness will stay for ever in our hearts. It will always be there with us but the next ceremonies will not be the same any more without him.

He had once again this last summer asked to his friend Jean Michel and Eric to not give up , to rebuilt and to promise to him that one day they will find a good place for a new Airborne museum, in a appropriated building without risk to be destroyed once again by a flood here, in the Drop Zone he had never left since this morning of the 15th of August 1944. The promise will be held by the tow founders for its memory, but also the others friends veterans who left us, as Mickael Compton, Georges Chritie, Baron Thomas Foran, Gary Davis, Lud Gibbons, Ben Barret, Carl Kieffer, Ed Jordan Henri Parlarieu and hundreds others that Mickael and Eric welcomed over 20 years now. All those who had made for the country of France and for freedom the sacrifice of their life.

Condoleances will be forwarded via :
    “15 Aout 1944” Airborne Association
    Letter box BP79- 83490 Le MUY France
    Or Emailed :Anvil-dragoon@hotmail.com

Jean Michel Soldi and Eric Renoux, founders of the Airborne Museum de la Liberation of Le Muy presidents of the Association " 15 Août1944 ".
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sad News: Peter Matthews  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Default Re: Sad News: Peter Matthews

Sad news indeed, RIP.

?

A good man gone.

A brave and dedicated man. RIP

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Old soldiers never die, they simply fade away, condolences to his family and all those that knew him, RIP.

A well loved man it appears, and brave too, a fine epitaph.

'Utrinque Paratus'

Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

"Airborne Forever " !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Rip
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris