Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sand coloured Dennison smock

Article about: Thank you for the above info. No I did not ask the fellow what regiment he belonged to, it"s not the sort of question to ask of someone you have just met. As I have said, he mentioned D

Default Re: Sand coloured Dennison smock

Quote by expara View Post
    Hi again Dave 1134 this photo was taken in 1978 in Germany, i am the one on the right with the 59 patt denison and my friend on the left has the brown half zip denison [IMG][/IMG]
    very interesting photo expara. If I posted some pics of my para smocks please can you have a look at them and date them if possible, John.

?

Hi John post your picts and you will Certainly get your answers on here, I dont portray to be any kind of expert, but as you have seen in the photo i did wear them in the 70s. Went in to another forum and they where arguing about whether the denison was windproof and waterproof, Well i can certainly tell everyone that they where nothing like the gore-tex kit that the lads get now.
    The wind howled through the denison, the rain went through them like a tea bag, (BUT WE LOVED THEM) they where unique. As i have said before the powers to be said that we where to recognisable in the field and replaced them with the D.P.M. Model. ( It makes you laugh when everyone i knew jumped with their red berets tucked under the smock and as soon as you hit the D.Z. you removed your skid lid hung it on your webbing and then proceeded to put your beret on your head, was this not recognisable as well as all the parachutes in the air Hahahah) We wanted them to know who was coming

hi expara thanks for posting the pic and the info looks like you were going to have some fun charlie gs and smudges and i like the scrim scarfs all you lads are wearing cheers again, dave.

?

I'd just watch that other "Smocks link thread" I've just had a quick look at it and a lot of the information totally wrong, the photo showings the WW2 "S.A.S Smock" is in fact a set of standard British Army windproof's (for sale from Silvermans in London), these were general issue to the Army as well as the Royal marines, snipers, commandos, and the S.A.S and were used by the SBS well in to the late 1970's there a famous picture showing two SBS men wearing these, and one of them is carrying an Sterling L34 A1. As to S.A.S Smocks I have heard much about the "Kadet / Cadet" smock over the years, however I've never seen one so is this urban myth or legend probably.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

ILH
    ?

Quote by Nige H View Post
    As to S.A.S Smocks I have heard much about the "Kadet / Cadet" smock over the years, however I've never seen one so is this urban myth or legend probably.

Nige.
    Hi Nige,
    Unfortunately two types existed- I got issued them, but the closest they ever got to the SAS was Sennybridge assault course

1) Exactly the same as 80patt DPM Combat smock- the horrible one with the flappy pockets and white lining, but without the front top pockets (irrelevant in this case, but the label still says 'Smock Cadet')

2) Almost identical to the old pullover NBC suit top with the high front pocket, but made from cotton canvas and had a bead on the hood drawstring instead of the star-spangled-slider. Available in Green, Raf blue, and Navy blue. I don't remember a label in them.

I seem to remember some of these bieng palmed off as green versions of the Norwegian type smock (buttoned v-neck, low front pocket, drawtape in hood) 'as used by the SAS in NI'.......

"Oh, the HSOTC is a gallant site to see, pom, pom, tiddlyom lala, lala, laaaa!"
    Jim.

?

I remember the number 2 type ....
    I was issued with one in the cadets in 1975-76.

We all wanted DPM jackets and weren't impressed with the pullover smock.

Gary J.

We've still got a couple of pullover smocks kicking about at my detachment, I remember seeing them on a shelf and thinking "bloody hell, how old are these?" but no doubt they'll be packed into one of the many boxes. I'll have a look if I get a break next wednesday or this weeked to see if I can dig one of them out and convince the RSM to let me have it

Thanks

Danny

Picked up one of these smocks myself today on the fea market
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sand coloured Dennison smock   Sand coloured Dennison smock  

Sand coloured Dennison smock   Sand coloured Dennison smock  

Sand coloured Dennison smock  
    Last edited by kradman; 10-21-2016 at 08:03 AM.

Another very interesting variant of the dennison smock,from the picture I think that it is an all green one, am I correct. If all green it is one I have never seen and am delighted that you bought it and showing it on here, thanks, John.

Hi yes it's more green in colour

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast