Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SAS Wings ?

Article about: Hi Guys, I recently picked up an sd tunic with this badge attached to the right hand shoulder.... now from what I have been told to date this is a postwar maybe malayan era badge ? can anyon

Default Re: SAS Wings ?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Tim, I am actually unsure about these wings being original WW2? Having said that, SAS is not something I collect. But I did have a repro pair for a living history event we did years ago, but I think I sold these now? But the maker of these had a whole range of variants of these wings made in India. I am thinking these are one of those copies. Have you blacklighted them?

The tunic etc is fine. What Regt/ Corps are the buttons as they are not General Service pattern?

Cheers, Ade.
    Hi Ade,Yes I have had plenty of different opinions on this badge on the jacket....from WW2 right up to current issue... I havent yet blacklighted the jacket and wings.....I have been meaning to buy a blacklight for months now, I guess I had better get onto it the stitching looks pretty good to me... I think the badge was applied quite a long time ago... but I will pick up a light this week and let you know how I get on
    The buttons are the standard ww2 period New Zealand Forces type.

thanks for your help guys

Tim

Hi Tim, thanks, I could not make out what pattern they were.

As we all know a blacklight is not conclusive, but a glow would give cause for some concern.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Tim, thanks, I could not make out what pattern they were.

As we all know a blacklight is not conclusive, but a glow would give cause for some concern.

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks Ade, I have finally had a chance to get a good look over it with a blacklight and there was no glow anywhere on it ... so I guess that is positive

Tim

Guys, thanks for all your input on this.... I have now concluded that it is genuine WW2 (many thanks to all the guys that sent me PM's on this) .... Now I just have to figure out exactly what to do with it as I have no other special forces gear to display with it

The Newzealand SAS was formed on the 7th. July 1955 so I would think that your wings are not older than that date. If you go onto the British and Commonwealth badge forum a fellow Kiwi has a great collection of NZ special forces badges. John.

Hi John, Yes you are right that is when they were formed as an effective and official unit but there were members of the LRDG that were transferred into SAS prior to the end of WW2 I believe.... I have not researched this heavily but through conversations with friends in New Zealand that collect and "do" heavily research LRDG that's what I have learned.
    Also I have had messages from well respected collectors from WAF and British and Commonwealth badge forum stating that it is good, So I am happy with the conclusion they reached ....another factor in this that I dont think I mentioned in this thread is the fact that this came out of the woodwork 2 weeks earlier than a large LRDG grouping (unfortunately I never managed to get it) in the same small town.....so there is a small chance there is a link there as well.
    cheers,
    Tim

WW2 original wing. Very nice. I have several and would happily purchase it.
    Del.

Quote by AIRTROOPER View Post
    WW2 original wing. Very nice. I have several and would happily purchase it.
    Del.
    thanks Del .... its a nice Jacket and definitely appears to be originally applied so Im afraid Ill not be stripping it from the tunic... I am still trying to work out who this belonged to and although it is taking me a long time Im pretty confident that I will get there... I have narrowed it down to but a few officers now of the LRDG
    cheers
    Tim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2