Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

South Staffords at Oosterbeek

Article about: Hi Guys, does anyone know if the Staffords were issued with Mk5 stens or the T stock(mk2?) sten at Oosterbeek? cheers guys, Al

Default South Staffords at Oosterbeek

Hi Guys,
    does anyone know if the Staffords were issued with Mk5 stens or the T stock(mk2?) sten at Oosterbeek?
    cheers guys,
    Al
    Last edited by ALLAN PRICE; 05-29-2010 at 07:44 PM. Reason: typo

?

Default Re: South Staffords at Oosterbeek

Hi Allan

I was of the understanding that the majority of troops, who had the sten at Market-Garden had the Mk5, but as usual, I will quite happily stand corrected by others more knowledgeable than me.
    Regards etc

Ian D
    Reg

Hi Allan, they had the MkV.

Cheers, Ade.

hi guys,thats exactly what i thought.
    seems like someone is bending the truth a little to make up for the fact he didnt have a MK 5 & only a MK 2 in some photo's taken.when questioned he claimed that the Staffords(Handcarts Coy????) were issued MK2's not MK5's.
    looking though all my Market-Garden books i couldnt see any Staffords with them there.

They certainly had MKII's in earlier days, but by Arnhem I am sure that they had been replaced by MKV's.

Have a look at the book "By Air, Land and Sea" which is a history of the 2nd Battl. I can highly recommend it. All Stens in pics at Arnhem/Oosterbeek are MKV's.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade,
    yes,i have the book!a very good read for all things Staffords.i know they were issued mk2's for North Africa,& was certain they didnt have them at Arnhem,but just wanted to double check!

Hi Allan, glad you have the book

It is possible the odd man might have retained a MKII, we can never say never in this game. But I find it very hard to believe one platoon retained them.

Cheers, Ade.