Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sten MkV and a few British Airborne pieces

Article about: I've added a Sten MkV to my collection so I thought I'd photograph it with a few of my other bits and pieces (The smock is post war - can't have everything I suppose)

I've finally got a 'real' Denison smock! Size 3 and dated 1945, it has good strong colours, however, the tail has been cut off. The zip still works and apart from a couple of nicks and the obligatory paint specks it's in great condition.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sten MkV and a few British Airborne pieces   Sten MkV and a few British Airborne pieces  

Sten MkV and a few British Airborne pieces   Sten MkV and a few British Airborne pieces  

Sten MkV and a few British Airborne pieces  

I’ve finally put everything together on a decent full mannequin. He needs his face painting and a bit of roughing up but I was too excited not to post these.
    Everything on him is original wartime dated with the exception of the sten fore grip and helmet scrim (it is covering post war paint).
    He’s quite tall and I’m really chuffed that the beret and helmet fit him. The beret has never had a badge fitted and as there are wartime images showing that this did happen I’ll leave it as it is.
    It’s a Hindsgaul mannequin and a little bit of a strange pose, however, with a bit of adjusting and a strategically place FS knife I think he looks quite good. I forgot to take photos of the back but he’s fully kitted up with gas mask, helve, water bottle, etc
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sten MkV and a few British Airborne pieces   Sten MkV and a few British Airborne pieces  

Sten MkV and a few British Airborne pieces   Sten MkV and a few British Airborne pieces  

I love it when a plan comes together.

30 years in the making, 1 1/2hours in construction (webbing has to be the worst design ever, although I guess it was never planned to go on something that doesn’t move)).
    I’ve now stripped him naked and going to attempt to paint his face and hands.

Very nice...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

?

Excellent display, Great facial feature for a maniquinn and I love the FS in his hand at the ready!! Nice touch

Thumbs up

That's a superb display. 30 years in the making ? That's what real collecting is about - it must give you a real sense of satisfaction to view the result.....

I’ve now painted him. He was painted with matt paints, however, has a little bit of a shine to him and I’m undecided as to whether to apply a matt or satin varnish or leave him as he is with a little ‘sweaty’ look.

(If anybody could get those two images around the right way I would be obliged)

Last edited by Grimebox; 07-23-2023 at 05:39 PM.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sten MkV and a few British Airborne pieces  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast