Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

STOLEN ITEM - Airborne Soldiers POW tag.

Article about: Hi guys, I don't frequent this part of the forum but I thought I'd ask you for some help. One of my mates granddad was recently on a trip to Lanzarote and had his wallet stolen. Inside his w

Default STOLEN ITEM - Airborne Soldiers POW tag.

Hi guys, I don't frequent this part of the forum but I thought I'd ask you for some help.

One of my mates granddad was recently on a trip to Lanzarote and had his wallet stolen. Inside his wallet was his fathers Prisoner of War ID tag from the 'Stalag Luft XII-A' prison camp. His father who had been a Glider borne soldier had been captured during failed efforts in Market Garden. I'll let you know if I can get the specific ID number, but in the mean time, I would really appreciate it if you could keep your ears open and your eyes peeled for any tag being sold or offered to you from this camp, particularly from the Lanzarote area. I'll enclose a picture, not of his tag, but of one identical to the missing one apart from its serial number.

It's all he really had left of his fathers and I'd really like to try and return it too him if possible.

If you have anything to input, even if it's just advice on the matter, I'd appreciate it all. I'll also be sure to update the thread with any updates or developments.

Cheers
    Tom

STOLEN ITEM - Airborne Soldiers POW tag.

Default Re: STOLEN ITEM - Airborne Soldiers POW tag.

Sad to hear this and I hope it can be found, I'll certainly keep an eye out for it on dealer sites and Ebay.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Unfortunately the pickpockets who operate in such places will have no idea what is is and will most probably just have chucked it , hopefully not though !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Most of the dippers in Lanzarote are Eastern Europeans, and I would be suprised if they didn't just toss the tag with the bill fold after taking the cash and cards. My brother has a property over there, and when he goes over, there is often 2 or 3 wallets and purses that have been thrown over the wall into the garden. Most times just the cash and cards have gone, other things, including sometimes I.D. are left, in which case he drops them off at the local police station in case they've been reported stolen.

Good Luck, it's a real shame, but I wouldn't hold your breath on it turning up I'm afraid.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

This is very sad to read.

Pick pockets were in operation at Birmingham Arms Fair today: one guy lost a four figure sum.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Most of the Big Fairs are being targeted Ade , common knowledge now amongst the Ost Europa pickpocketing gangs that Militaria Fairs are a cash game and some folk have a lot with them , you'll know better than i but Beltring is one of their favourite hunting grounds but also the Big European fairs !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies. I know what you mean about it probably just being chucked (this makes it more upsetting because that makes the loss even more pointless) and I haven't really got high hopes for its return. I felt I had to try and do something though!

I'll be sure to update if anything changes.
    Cheers
    Tom

Very sad to hear my friend! I believe there is A special place in hell for thieves. As for militaria fairs, I'm not aware of any pickpocket gangs at fairs in the USA, maybe a few individuals here and there, but I always carry my money and wallet in my front pockets or within my coat, zippered up. My cash is never kept in my wallet. Can never be too careful.

?

That is a damned shame. To the person who It belonged, I know it would be considered priceless!! So Sorry for his loss. I am always looking to find POW tags from the Stalags. My uncle and a friend were in Stalag 17B, I will make note of the POW # and I will keep my eye out while searching. I hope that somebody will find the wallet and the tag was not taken. I wish you luck!!!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Just wondering, what is the name of the glider soldier the tags belonged to?
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway