Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Thoughts on this Glider Dress Uniform???

Article about: I'm curious what everyone thinks about this Glider Dress Uniform (assuming that's what this is). Is it good? I'd also like to know a little history about it if you can see enough in the phot

?

Default Thoughts on this Glider Dress Uniform???

I'm curious what everyone thinks about this Glider Dress Uniform (assuming that's what this is). Is it good?

I'd also like to know a little history about it if you can see enough in the photos to figure it out. I collect primarily German uniforms, and have yet to educate myself on U.S. items so I apologize for my ignorance. Sorry for the poor quality photos too, its the best I could get from the owner.

Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Thoughts on this Glider Dress Uniform???   Thoughts on this Glider Dress Uniform???  

Thoughts on this Glider Dress Uniform???   Thoughts on this Glider Dress Uniform???  

Thoughts on this Glider Dress Uniform???  

Default Re: Thoughts on this Glider Dress Uniform???

Hi Darren, first off , it is good. Nice British tailor made Officers tunic. This has a certain amount of collector desirability being made for US troops in the UK.

The tunic is USAAF.

The Officers quality Overseas cap has the badge of the US Airborne Forces (Paratroop/Glider borne) But it does not belong to the tunic with this badge on it.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thanks for the quick response Ade! Always appreciated

So all of the pieces are correct; cap (and badge), pants (gray), tunic (and insignia)... at least what you can tell from the photos?

Am I getting a fair deal at $175, or is that more than you'd spend for something like this?

Hi Darren, the trousers are known as "Pinks".

Everything looks fine. But a closer view of the Pinks would be nice to see.

The price works out as £112 to me being in the UK. I think this is a decent fair deal if you want to hang onto it. Should you want to part with it, I suspect there would be a small profit in it too.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thanks for the help Ade (as always). Everything I buy is for my personal collection, I couldn't part with this kind of history. When I'm bored sometime I plan to post some photos of what I've acquired thus far, quite a few of which you helped me identify and I'm grateful for the help.

Cheers!

Quote by dzyner View Post
    I couldn't part with this kind of history.
    You are a man after my own heart!

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hey Ade, I just re-read one of your earlier posts where you mention the badge on the cap not belonging to the tunic, thus the cap and tunic not being a set. Bummer! Although I guess if the cap is original it'll be a good value in its own right, correct? Aren't Airborne Overseas caps fairly hard to come by; not to mention an Officer's cap like this one?

Hi Darren, correct, the cap would not belong to the tunic. But it is a good item in it's own right. Not common and anything Airborne related is always popular.

Cheers, Ade.

Dzyner,
    Nice outfit, known as "Pinks and Greens". I noticed Ade's comment ref the cap. Since the tunic is not sporting a patch or wings we can't know for sure but more than likely he is correct. That being said I was an Infantry Officer/Pilot before Aviation became a branch in the US Army and being Airborne qualified I wore the glider patch on my cap as did all airborne qualified officers even after we went to the prop and wing branch insignia. We continued to wear the glider patch on our cap even if we were assigned to a leg unit, that is until they changed the regs in the early 80's when the only time you could wear the glider patch was when you were assigned to an airborne unit and on jump status, which never made any sense to me because the airborne had gone to the burgandy beret and we didn't wear the overseas cap when assigned to the division. If that all doesn't confuse you then nothing will. There is a possibility that this guy could have been a glider pilot who was also airborne qualified hence the glider patch on his cap even tho he wore AAC brass.
    Terry