Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Uniform Grouping: US 82nd Airborne

Article about: At this year's SOS, I found a wonderful grouping that had belonged to Dale E. Gillespie, 307th Medical Company, 82nd Airborne Division. Corporal Gillespie enlisted on 26 March, 1942, eleven

Default re: Uniform Grouping: US 82nd Airborne

I have recently sent a letter to Mr. Gillespie and hope to have a conversation with him in the near future. I will pose the questions to him raised in this thread. My only concern is that it is my understanding that the original buyer misrepresented himself as an agent for a museum. Hopefully, this will not be an impediment. I still have a few more items to post and will do so soon.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Well, that could place him (with the 82nd) .. possibly at Spanhoe, Saltby, Cottesmore .. possibly Folkingham ..
    .. Spanhoe, Saltby and Cottesmore fell under the 315th/316th TCG.

.. I know that at Spanhoe and Cottesmore there was some glider training, mixed in with tug training for the C47 aircrews.

Gary J.

Quote by 101combatvet View Post
    Not sure where this guy took his.... but many took their training just prior to the invasion..... right on the runway were they took off from.

101combatvet
    ?

Without question he was 82nd trained, the patch is on the certicate. I would guess that training for glider operations started prior to Normandy.

Quote by Polski44 View Post
    Well, that could place him (with the 82nd) .. possibly at Spanhoe, Saltby, Cottesmore .. possibly Folkingham ..
    .. Spanhoe, Saltby and Cottesmore fell under the 315th/316th TCG.

.. I know that at Spanhoe and Cottesmore there was some glider training, mixed in with tug training for the C47 aircrews.

Gary J.

?

Wonderful group Bob and to an Airborne vet with 4 combat jumps to his name !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Last evening, I received a telephone call from Mr. Gillespie. This was the start of what I believe will be an ongoing relationship. He was quite eager to discuss his service. I will be talking to him within a couple of weeks. He will be sending me an expanded biography of his service. I did learn that his first posting was with the 325th Glider Infantry, with whom he landed in North Africa two days before the German/Italian surrender. As glider infantry received regular GI pay, he volunteered to be trained as a paratrooper. He told me he also wanted to get over his fear of heights. Mr. Gillespie has no idea why he was sent for training as a medic. His only thought was during high school, he worked in a local drug store. I will update this after I hear from him. If anyone would like a question answered, please post it and I will ask him.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Bob,
    I would like to know where he was based in England, ... hopefully the Leicester / Cottesmore area ?

(Shady Lane ?)

Cheers

Gary J.

?

Bob,
    This is a wonderful grouping and and I'm glad that you have had the opportunity to converse with Mr Gillespie.
    The wear on the neck of his M42 is just about the same as that on my reinforced 82nd example.

Take care

Mark

?

Default Re: Uniform Grouping: US 82nd Airborne

Fantastic grouping! Thanks for sharing it with us. Look forward to hearing more about your interaction with Mr. Gillespie!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3