Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

US Airborne patch

Article about: Hi al... I know I have seen one of these on a thread in this section somewhere .. but can not find it again Please could some kind soul ID it for me and suggest a period/date. Cheers Gary

Default US Airborne patch

Hi al... I know I have seen one of these on a thread in this section somewhere .. but can not find it again
    Please could some kind soul ID it for me and suggest a period/date.

Cheers

Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Airborne patch   US Airborne patch  

Hello Gary here's one from collectors guild. I see no reason why your example is not period WW2 same detail only imo yours has more aging/fading which is nice! Best regards.

Brian

US Airborne patch

The Collector's Guild

Many thanks Brian .. indeed does look to be of similar construction.
    Which particular units would wear them and are they from the European theatre ?
    Cheers
    Gary

Hi Gary
    '
    This is not a US patch as per se.

This is First Allied Airborne Army , which was composed of US , British , Polish and any other allied units assigned, and worn by HQ staff.

FAA was created in August 1944 for the airborne assault in Holland Operation Market Garden , Battle of the Bulge (101st) and Varsity crossing of the Rhine.

The organization disbanded in May 1945 where the patch was reissued under US ETOUSA command to form the The First US Airborne Army (same design minus Allied) -XVIIIth Airborne Corp 13th, 17th.82nd and 101st Abn Div.

The variation you have is British manufactured from the period , so good to go.

There were other manufactured variations.

Phill

British variation

Attachment 1114982

US manufactured variation:There were several colour variations

Attachment 1114983

First US Airborne Army: German made multi theatre made variations.

Attachment 1114984

Many thanks Phil for your detailed reply .. I now have a lot more knowledge about this badge... but excuse my ignorance ... did HQ staff who would have worn these participate in any of the actions mentioned ... I am right in guessing so
    Cheers
    Gary

Hi Gary

The Formation sign (Brit)/Shoulder sleeve insignia(US) was worn at HQ level , it is a HQ command unit.

This is what they wore when involved in all operations same as if it was an ordinary Army patch.

In essence you can literally date this patch to its first operation Market Garden.

Nice worn example you have, there are a lot of unissued legit WWII era , I prefer the worn look!! Note yours is faded .

Phill