Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

US Para Wings, what era ?

Article about: I know this is a recurring theme and try as I have I still cant make up my mind if these are WWII issue or later, be gratefull for any advice, apologies for pictures they are'nt mine but cop

Default US Para Wings, what era ?

I know this is a recurring theme and try as I have I still cant make up my mind if these are WWII issue or later, be gratefull for any advice, apologies for pictures they are'nt mine but copied from the sellers.
    Attached Images Attached Images US Para Wings, what era ?  US Para Wings, what era ? 

I would say that due to the type of backing (I think they are called clutch pins) these would be post- war? I'm pretty sure wartime ones had a straight, broach style pin at the back.

?

These look like they are ww2 period I have seen this maker before. It is a common misconception that all ww2 wings were pin back but there were plenty of clutch back wings during the period. Looks like they are ww2 or right after in my opinion

True, modern clutch-backs as we know them on US insignia were used
    at least as far back as 1943. The clutches shown here though - with
    the little 'nubbys' - are a lot newer than the wings.

The badge was made by 'Charles Polk Co.'.........
    Regards,

Steve.

I would first request to see a photo of the back of it Without the clutch's on the pins. Many of these began life as pinbacks, but somewhere along the road got converted over into clutch's. I would also test it with a magnet, as the Polish fakes of these are getting to be an art form in themselves. The backside of these wings looks as if they have been silver plated-which is typical of the steel Polish fakes. IF everything tests out okey, I would tentatively date these from the Korean War era or mid-50's or even into Vietnam era.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thanks to you all, some good tips and advise, am I right in thinking that those referred to as 'pinbacks' were the type with two rings which were secured by a split pin which passed through the loops, in much the same way as a beret cap badge. ?

Pinback refers to the horizontal brooch type of pin that Spitace described above.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Typical US Pinback on Pilot wings:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Para Wings, what era ?  
    Regards,

Steve.

?

I'd say they're a nice example of war time jump wings given the markings on the back.