MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

What do I have here......A spy glass!

Article about: Got this from I do not know where and it has alluded all identification it is pictured next to a 17HMR to give scale to the piece. Believe it or not it is quite well made and the view you ge

Default What do I have here......A spy glass!

Got this from I do not know where and it has alluded all identification it is pictured next to a 17HMR to give scale to the piece.
    Believe it or not it is quite well made and the view you get with it belies its size even with it being a single draw.
    It reminds me of something a resistance fighter would have or an OSS agent sadly there are no makers marks on it has anyone a clue as to what it is.
    It may be a childs toy but seems too well made for that and would easily be lost or wrecked with a child.

TIA
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What do I have here......A spy glass!   What do I have here......A spy glass!  

What do I have here......A spy glass!   What do I have here......A spy glass!  

I think it's a bullet...brass casing with head.....'not sure what it's next to tho :-)

seriously, the absence of any markings is often a good thing......and if the quality of magnification is as good as you say I'd suggest it isn't a toy....

Mr Spy-Glass (whoever that is) will be along in a moment....in the meantime there'll be a load of "I-don't-have-a-clue either", much like myself, falsely raising your hopes when you see someone's posted in your inbox....

good luck!

?

It COULD be for use at coin & stamp shows for looking at items,my Dad had something similar he used at shows..just a guess.....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Good suggestion......I’ve seen (and used) a Linen tester used similarly at Military Fairs.

I would think that an OSS agent... or indeed ANY agent, would carry a spyglass which would like anything other than what it really was, for rather obvious reasons.

Its a .17 caliber Hornady Magnum Rimfire

Default Better scale item

Most people know the size of a MKVII 303 round so I used that as a scale this time as the .17HMR not to many have an idea of how small the round is.
    Sorry for the poor quality but you get the idea of how small it really is.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What do I have here......A spy glass!   What do I have here......A spy glass!  

It is a WW2 MI9 produced 'baby telescope' / mini Monocular / telescope. A very small telescope which is shown and identified in Per Ardua Libertas as for Post Capture use 'for watching guards, etc'.

See post #149 in my thread:
    Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

These are relatively rare and quite desirable.

Thanks allot Grimebox for revealing what it is a definite espy type thingy which wont be going anywhere I'll say it again for their size & DOM during a war the detail and range coupled with the clarity of view for their size is quite astounding.
    Quite easy to umm hide if required on ones person but stashed out of sight would be fairly easy as well.

Cannot remember what I paid for it I do not think it was OTT.

What a great site this is thanks to all who replied