Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

WW2 SOE Exploding Rat

Article about: This is my homage (reproduction) of an SOE 'Rats, Explosive'. As you can see there was obviously a little bit of artistic licence used when the diagram was drawn, either that or they had ver

?

WOW, love those Primers!!!!

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

?

I started another thread showing some of my dug up SOE OSS stuff so I won't hijack this one again.

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

?

Must be a first on this forum!
    Most excellent.

You can't beat a good exploding rat!.....

?

When I was a kid, the exploding rats were FAR louder and of better quality than todays inferior imported rats!

?

Quote by Scout View Post
    Must be a first on this forum!
    Most excellent.
    We have had rats on the forum before,but they always got banned.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Grimmy,

Take a look at these 1oz primers that were used by SOE during WW2. I think they may well be what you're looking for. The details regarding them can be found at this website, British mines and charges :
    although you may already be familiar with it. Hope this helps.

Regards, Ned.

Attachment 651779Attachment 651778

Cheers Ned, I had found a similar looking primer so assumed they were wrapped in brown paper, I think I'll neaten it up and try and make it look more like these
    Regards

I wouldn't think that looking for possible exploding rats would be much different from the sort of security sweeps the Germans would have to undertake to try to counter sabotage attempts in general-which then raises the irony of the SOE manual which features the exploding wooden clogs, which in French are called sabot and are the origin of the word saboteur (a Peninsular War term coined by the French to describe 'guerrilla' folks using the clogs on their feet to dislodge boulders to fall on troops or block roads in the mountains).

I remember the 'splodin' rats and other such things featuring in 'Force 10 From Navarone' as carried in James Fox's bag of tricks.

Now available for tropical theaters of war: Exploding camels and exploding elephants offering considerably more bang for your buck! (Still under development are exploding whales for naval warfare: Exploding sperm whale carcass caught on camera in the Faroe Islands - YouTube )

Sorry, just couldn't resist it!

But, seriously: Very interesting; I had never heard of that.

?

Quote by zwerge View Post
    We have had rats on the forum before,but they always got banned.
    Indeed

None of them exploded though.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast