Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

WW2 SOE Exploding Rat

Article about: This is my homage (reproduction) of an SOE 'Rats, Explosive'. As you can see there was obviously a little bit of artistic licence used when the diagram was drawn, either that or they had ver

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Didn't the Russians send exploding dogs to take out tanks?

I am sure I read this somewhere

Nick
    You are not wrong Nick!...
    Anti-tank dog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I will freely admit that the rat in the links is better than my mock up, however, I have doubts as to its authenticity:
    WWII 'rat bomb' given to British spy is up for auction | Daily Mail Online
    https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/242...gth=10&page=23

1. The fuse is around the wrong way (at least from the WW2 diagram)
    2. The ‘French police identification label’ appears to be very untidy, especially when you consider that during that period a lot of the writing was ‘joined up’ handwriting.
    3. The ‘post war 1940's tie-on label’ appears to have been folded up into a small square (look at the creases). Why? And has been tied on with modern string.

This one, with provenance from Mountfitchet Castle no less, sold for £1600 last year:
    https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23485/lot/287/

I’ll accept £1000 for mine and I’ll chuck in a paper label written with whatever you want written on it. Killed by Goerings cat, found in Hitlers cellar, etc

Reminds me of that seen from the 1960 movie "the guns of Navarone". If you recall it, the explosive expert played by David Niven leaves a dead rat underneath the gun they were wiring up to explode. Not really explained why in the movie, but the suggestion was it was a bobby trap. So the idea may have had some basis in fact.

?

There is a bloke that makes very nice reproductions of the No 6 but I cant for the life of me remember his name..i had a quick google search which came up with nothing..also on the snout of the time delay pencil there are two sets of prongs,the first set closest to the mouth are to hold the det and stop it slipping back out and the second set are to stop the det from sliding into the snout,there should be a gap you can see through when the det is in place...to make sure this area wasnt filled with PE when the pencil was pushed in engineers put a turn of tape over this area

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4