Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

WWII 101st Airborne Grouping

Article about: Let me preface by saying, this is a fairly extensive grouping which will take some time to sort through. I apologize in advance for all of the photos however I find these items very interest

?

Quote by Paul D View Post
    Wonderful collection of history , regarding all the German docs etc for any transaltion work etc it will be easier if you post what you want translated in their own threads in the paperwork section !!
    Thanks, Paul! I did create a thread earlier in the paperwork section. Just bumped it and added photos of the documents (previously linked it back to this thread).

?

Quote by MD Helmets View Post
    Wow. Yep definitely can't beat that, can't beat it with a stick. Some great stuff shows up on craigslist and even ebay from time to time. Fort Ritchie is a nice area nestled in the blue ridge mountains close to the PA line (blue ridge summit area). I recommend a visit if you haven't been. It's private property owned by the PenMar development corporation, but I have met the director and she enjoys the history of the fort and welcomes history buffs to stop in and walk the grounds.

I don't doubt you'll never part with it, I wouldn't, but just in case, it can have a happy home here if you ever do
    I'll definitely have to make an effort to visit. Not far from me at all. Thanks again!

Can't really say anything that hasn't already been said,but you've really hit big time with this haul,many collectors spend years trying in vain without any success,but glad someone here acquired this absolutely incredible collection belonging to one man's personal journey,a massive well done and many thanks for sharing,good luck with any further info you find out along the way..............

Outstanding!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Outstanding!
    Thanks, Ade!

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Can't really say anything that hasn't already been said,but you've really hit big time with this haul,many collectors spend years trying in vain without any success,but glad someone here acquired this absolutely incredible collection belonging to one man's personal journey,a massive well done and many thanks for sharing,good luck with any further info you find out along the way..............
    Thanks, Jake! I definitely consider myself lucky to have been able to find it and keep it together. The individuals cleaning out the estate have an interest in history and it's preservation. I think if someone else had found it, it could have easily have been sold off piecemeal.

?

Very impressive.!! Its also good to see this hasnt been split up over the years!! Well done

?

Quote by lew07 View Post
    Very impressive.!! Its also good to see this hasnt been split up over the years!! Well done
    Thanks, Lew!

?

The seller was able to locate some additional items form Charles' service.

First up, Charles' parachute. This consists of the following:

1 camo pilot chute, dated 1943

1 nylon parachute lead

2 silk parachutes. One is for the most part complete (pictured below - small section cut out), the other has several large sections cut from it, but are still present (not pictured)

Close-up of material and construction

?

British Made Para Wings, marked JR Gaunt

4 CIB's

Good Conduct Medal (unnamed), PUC and Infantry collar brass (one for G Co from when Wahler was with the 4th ID)

A couple Para patches for his overseas cap

Additional letters, his selective service card and more negatives for photos he took with the 101st.

Negatives for photos he took while stateside with the 4th ID

Additional photos of German Wehrmacht

WWII 101st Airborne GroupingWWII 101st Airborne Grouping

More misc insignia not related to Charles' service

?

I didn't share this earlier, but thought I would keep it in one thread. In addition to Charles' grouping, I also obtained the grouping to his son, Walter Wahler. Walter served during Vietnam in the USAF. I'm still working on researching this group. From what I can tell based on what is included, my guess is he was stationed in Korea before or after Vietnam and served with the 35th SPS (Security Police Squadron).

Hi grouping consists of several uniforms/visor caps, wool overcoat, OG 107 shirt, National Defense and Vietnam Service medals, several ROK patches, Vietnamese made 35th SPS patch.

Also included were color photos and slides from his overseas service.

Lastly, a few items from his younger years when he was in the Cub/Boy Scouts.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast