Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWII Airborne Finds

Article about: Hi All, Thought I’d share some of my recent AB finds. First up is a wool Army overcoat with an 82nd AB SSI. I acquired this in a local shop I frequent. Nothing too fancy, however it had a la

?

Default WWII Airborne Finds

Hi All,
    Thought I’d share some of my recent AB finds.

First up is a wool Army overcoat with an 82nd AB SSI. I acquired this in a local shop I frequent. Nothing too fancy, however it had a last name (Campbell) and a partial ASN (7275).

After some help from a member of another forum, he was able to help me narrow down the original wearer to 3 possibilities.
    After doing some research on the three names, one name came back with a definite match.

Name - Dwight Leroy Campbell
    ASN – 33757275

Dwight was attached to the 320th Gliderfield Artillery Btln, which was a component of the 82nd ID.

Dwight passed away in 1984 and is buried in Newtown, PA which is about 14 miles from where I acquired the coat.

Some info on Dwight:

Enlistment record

WWII Airborne Finds

PA Burial Card

WWII Airborne Finds

An article from a local newspaper with a photo of Dwight as well as his brother, who was also in service during the war.

WWII Airborne Finds

And last, but not least, the overcoat:

WWII Airborne Finds

WWII Airborne Finds

WWII Airborne Finds

WWII Airborne Finds

?

Default Re: WWII Airborne Finds

Next items, again, nothing too fancy, are a couple of AB SSI's.

All are WWII era and were acquired at the same shop as the overcoat.

82nd ID with attached AB tab (Ribbed Weave variant)

WWII Airborne Finds

82nd ID with attached AB tab and khaki insert

WWII Airborne Finds

AB Command SSI

WWII Airborne Finds

Really nice, especially the named greatcoat.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Really nice, especially the named greatcoat.

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks, Ade!

Thanks for sharing.. Great lots of 82nd items, All the way!!

?

HOw rare are the patches wit hthe khaki tab insert?

It's not something I've seen before on originals, only the rpros from ATF in the US. Not questioning it, merely wondering how common place it was.

Thanks

Jon

?

Thanks, Daz!

Jon,
    They're not uncommon, but do command a premium compared to those without. As a matter of fact, they regularly pop-up for sale. For example, there are 7 original cut-edge 82nd AB patches with khaki insert available on eBay right now.

Basically, all came with the insert however it was usually cut out to be sewn on a uniform. There is a misconception, however, that certain examples with a red thread running down the center of the khaki insert represent an individual who crossed the English Channel on D-Day or the Rhine during Market Garden.

Obviously, anyone with any sense knows this wasn't the case as it is clearly a return thread from the sewing process. How would an individual be able to obtain that specific piece of insignia with that return thread through the PX?

Still, despite this, the ones with the red thread seem to command a premium compared to others. Below is an example from an eBay listing:

WWII Airborne Finds

?

Thanks for the info on those and something I certainly wasn't aware of!

As for the red thread I agree entirely, I mean how could anyone hope to spot that if it was meant to advertise the fact that the individual had jump in to Frnace or Holland! Thats why they had arrow heads and stars on their jump wings! As you say clearly part of the manufacturing process.

Thanks for the info

Jon