Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WWII HSAT MkII with repaint and unknown flash

Article about: Waiting for this to arrive, hopefully tomorrow, A shed find and hoping to get some history with it, at least to where the shed was! The layout of the BMB markings on the liner confirm it is

Quote by M1910 View Post
    The badge could be 3rd Div who served in the Canal Zone post-war but seems like an unlikely connection unless it is Suez related.

Although I cannot currently find a picture I thought the post-war Canal Zone admin sector badge was also a stripe across a square signifying the canal.

Suez is a possibility but most people who have commented elsewhere expect it to have a rough sand textured finish if it was Suez. I'd be happy if it was Suez.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I have it in the hand now and took some new pics.

Inside the dome can be seen the remains of a name that is completely illegible, but his army number can be read (23960590 dating to the middle of 1964, I have been told) as can the Letters RE PARA for Royal Engineers Parachute Squadron. There are also traces of a name on the sweatband but again it is illegible.

There are sign of a green overpaint underneath the greenish yellow top coat suggesting at least three coats of paint on it if we include the original wartime paintof dark brown which can be seen on the inside and also signs of another flash or retouch of the one that is visible. Inside the dome are 5 white lines probably for his jumps, or at least the first 5 he did.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII HSAT MkII with repaint and unknown flash   WWII HSAT MkII with repaint and unknown flash  

WWII HSAT MkII with repaint and unknown flash   WWII HSAT MkII with repaint and unknown flash  

WWII HSAT MkII with repaint and unknown flash   WWII HSAT MkII with repaint and unknown flash  

WWII HSAT MkII with repaint and unknown flash  
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Thanx for the update Jerry glad you were able to get a bit of closure in regards to the service number and the associated Brigade the tan yellow overpaint and flash make this an extremely intresting HSAT...

Regards Mark

Quote by Mark K View Post
    Thanx for the update Jerry glad you were able to get a bit of closure in regards to the service number and the associated Brigade the tan yellow overpaint and flash make this an extremely intresting HSAT...

Regards Mark
    Mark, I am glad to be increasing my knowledge on this HSAT, but as yet there is no certain link between the flash and the writing underneath, as you well know these helmets often went through many users, especially in the post war period and the flash and paint might be 1960's Para Engineer, but might not be. that said, I suspect that the two do match as there is not the long sequence of renaming that is seen for instance on my 1950's and flashed HSAT, which for some reason I can't find the thread I posted on it.
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2