Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

WWII patch or postwar

Article about: I'm just trying to find out if this 18th Airborne patch is a WWII type or post war. Thanks for looking.

CBH
    ?

Default WWII patch or postwar

I'm just trying to find out if this 18th Airborne patch is a WWII type or post war.
    Thanks for looking.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII patch or postwar   WWII patch or postwar  

Chris,

This looks 1940's to 1950's era which means that WW2 made insignia was worn into the 50's and up to the time that merrowed edges replaced cut edge insignia. I know that is rather broad time era but based on the khaki border around both the airborne tab and patch itself I would say late 40's (August 1944 forward) to the 50's. The 18th Airborne Corps patch was worn from 25 August 1944 to present and was also worn post WW2..

Smitty

CBH
    ?

Thank you Smitty for the detailed reply, I don't know much about US insignia.
    But I've always like Airborne items.
    Cheers

?

Smitty nailed it, this like many other Airborne patches were produced most likely in the 40s but could have been issued much later. I heard a story about a company that produced a patch during ww2. The contract was never ended or had an expiration. They produced the same patch for years after the war, even into the 60s I believe.

CBH
    ?

Thanks, it came off of a 1956 dress jacket. It's a great looking patch.
    Thanks for the additional information.

Hi guys

A bit late to the party. The Airborne tab is 1950's , definitively not WWII.

The construction width of the khaki twill is a big sign of 1950's era.

The patch on the other hand is what I regard as WWII era so you have a combo of both being used.

As Smitty has pointed out there were still WWII stock in supply channels and XVIII Abn Corp WWII patches and tabs were used into the 50's.

As for "never ended contract or expiry date " that needs to be corrected.

All US Army SSI have contracts that they put out to tender, to supply X amount of SSI, they are labeled on boxes (200 per box) with contract date and relative info.
    What Gel is alluding to is same design in use over a period of years, as an example the 101st Airborne SSI, where the same manufacturer used the same design based on the original punch card tape that placed the coloured design stitch onto the " goods" material or khaki backing in this case so you get a very similar looking patch over 30-40 year period.

Contract Boxed SSI
    Attachment 1258107

Similar looking 101 over 30 year period note the eye detail. Mark Bando site covers more in detail with better examples.
    This is a quick put together to illustrate that a manufacturer used a similar punch card system for the design.

Attachment 1258108

Phill