Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWII SAS SAS Windproof Smock

Article about: I am hoping that my more learned colleagues on here would be able to comment on this item's authenticity. The seller describes it as "Hand-painted". Unfortunately, I have not been

Default WWII SAS SAS Windproof Smock

I am hoping that my more learned colleagues on here would be able to comment on this item's authenticity. The seller describes it as "Hand-painted". Unfortunately, I have not been able to inspect it personally and these are the only pictures I have. Any thoughts, anyone?

Thanking you in anticipation.

Martin

WWII SAS SAS Windproof SmockWWII SAS SAS Windproof SmockWWII SAS SAS Windproof Smock

?

Default Re: WWII SAS SAS Windproof Smock

Never seen one like that before - looking forward to the verdict.

I have never seen one before quite like that either. What is it made of? Is it just green cloth or a rubberised fabric?

One thing it certainly isn't is an SAS Windproof Smock because there is no such thing as an SAS Windproof Smock.

If I had to make a guess, i would say it looks like a drab windproof smock that someone has painted to try to sell it as something it isn't.

Rob

Hi Martin, I would agree with Rob.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks fellas. I passed on this and it sold for £161.00. I guess somebody took a chance!

Regards

Martin

It is the first pattern smock. Made of the same green denim as the fatigue battledress and trousers. Someone has overpainted it. I've never seen a period photo of a smock being painted. I doubt it would have been permitted - HM Govt was rather funny about personalisation of Govt property unless done in the field. Snipers had use of the Denisons.

This version was followed by the khaki on in thinner cotton gaberdine and then the camo one. People who do not know better , call these 'SAS' smocks but they were issued to and used by all sorts of troops and in reality, the Denison was the preferred smock to wear if you could get one. There are many photos of British infantrymen in the winter of '44 / '45 wearing the camo smocks over their battledress.

This green, heavyweight one is the one used by the Norwegian commandos on the Norsk Hydro plant raid - The Heroes Of Telemark.

Whoever paid £161 for this smock needs his bumps felt !

Nice hand painted smock indeed .......
    could be French done for Indo-China.

owen