Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

1st Division M-43 cut-down - ID help!

Article about: Good day all, This one should interest Mr. chbingle (I know he’s got it bad for these jackets)! I’ve had this splendid M-43 cut-down for a good many years now and always hoped it could be tr

?

Default 1st Division M-43 cut-down - ID help!

Good day all,
    This one should interest Mr. chbingle (I know he’s got it bad for these jackets)!
    I’ve had this splendid 2nd Lt. M-43 cut-down for a good many years now and always hoped it could be traceable/researchable.
    However, I cannot even find a laundry mark - that said, there is a very faint trace of something written or stamped below the collar, but nowhere near legible.
    While examining it again today, I just noticed the peculiar ‘4’ stitched to the left breast pocket flap - never noticed that before!
    All the insignia is original and tight to it and there is a generous splattering of what appears to be blood to the left cuff and nearby area of the body, also some smaller splashes on the right cuff.
    Cosmetic pleats have been added to the pockets and the side seams pinched and sewn in for a more tailored fit.
    I hope you like it and, moreover, can add something to its history (long shot, granted).
    My sincerest thanks in advance,
    Bob
    1st Division M-43 cut-down - ID help!1st Division M-43 cut-down - ID help!1st Division M-43 cut-down - ID help!1st Division M-43 cut-down - ID help!

Hi Bob

This would fit into the soldier modified category, the jacket had been damaged and individual had it tailor made to an IKE pattern, this would of made a nice outer jacket.

Because this would of been unauthorized there would be NO history unless there was some documentation and or laundry mark with jacket.

Not to sure what the 4 could reference too.

Its a very nice and desirable jacket with WWII 1st Infantry Div SSI to boot!

Not to sure where modified, England, Germany or done by a Tailor or QM rigger?

Just a note , up to 1941 Divisions were only known as Divisions(RA,NG,OR) with no type role ie Infantry, it wasn't until 1942 with the build up, they then used and experimented with type roles for Divisions ie Infantry, Airborne, Mountain, Mechanized, Light, Jungle etc..

So 1st Division would mean pre WWII , which is when I quickly read your title thought they never had M-43 pre WWII

Phill

You're quite right, I do have it quite bad for these M43's You definitely have a cool piece, I tend to pick up M43's wherever I can find them, they always make nice additions to a collection and can still be found for quite a reasonable price in my opinion! A very nice piece!

Bob,

This is a very interesting modification/cut down.. I have not seen anything like this for sometime now.. I really like the front button flap, this to me looks very British in modification terms.. Private tailor possibly...

Very nice

Smitty

?

Cheers for the divisional title info, Phill (that was just down to me being economical/lazy with word count)! Then again, I have often heard late- and post-war references to various divisions, without specific role - for probably the same reason... (in my feeble defence), or perhaps just old habits. Certainly a useful snippet nonetheless.
    CHB, thought you’d like it! I quite agree... I’ve always felt the M-43 to be somewhat underrated and have a few myself. The saddest thing now is the amount of once untouched jackets that have had any original insignia stripped off and replaced with 101st A/B patches (same goes for shirts and Class As; not to mention all the trousers, that nobody used to care about, having silly great pockets sewn to the sides)! Keep buying those honest ones mate - save some history!
    Smitty, thanks for the comment. The closure flap is quite an interesting shape, nicely curved. Impossible to be sure where done, of course, but as you say, reminiscent of the British BD. The stitching is a little on the ‘amateurish’ side, and the thread tension variable, so it hints toward a rigger job...
    Thank you all for your comments and best wishes,
    Bob

?

Of course... I really NEED an original 1st Infantry Division helmet to top it off.
    Bugger.

Any ideas?
    Not that I can afford it...

Wow Bob never seen one like this! I like it lots, cheers for showing!! I reckon this mod was done in Germany as I have a service jacket done in a similar fashion also 1st div ---correction 2nd div
    as for the helmet........paint
    This is a German mod as it has Prym stud buttons.
    Sorry to go off topic!

?

Very nice, Rene!
    Don’t you just love those 2nd Division patches? You get a lot for your money!

Really nice, original cut-down... and a useful pointer in the Prym studs.
    I’ve heard tell of an HBT ‘Ike’, but never seen it. Could such a mythical creature exist?!

I’ve always felt the ‘cut-down’ to be a particularly interesting sphere of US uniform history and tend to pick them up if ever I happen upon a nice example.
    Who knows? Could this grow into a thread of its own?

Cheers mate and all the best,
    Bob

The closest I have to a HBT cut down is this Aust made one though its not really a cut down!
    This jacket is a real odd ball and the only one I've ever seen (note the US size)