Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

2 pre ww1 swagger sticks

Article about: I found 2 pre ww1 swagger sticks in a antique shop one had 1790 and a artillery gun on it the other has a crown over an ordanxe symbol in a circle what units are they and how much are they w

Default Re: 2 pre ww1 swagger sticks

Well, 'Ubique' (Everywhere) is the motto of the Royal Artillery but the crest says Royal Engineers so there's a puzzle for a start...

i hate to rush it but i need the info as i dont have any access to the store in a couple days !!

Hmmm thank you lithgrow that is very interesting i am almost positive they are not reproductions !! could it have been a royal engineers unit that was sent with the royal artillery or mabye on early engineer items it said that ???

?

Look here......CatalogueHeadr
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

For what it's worth, the date of 1790 is almost certainly a date for which something extremely significant occurred with this regiment. I'm personally not that up on 18th century British military history, but for someone who is, I would imagine they could figure out what happened in this year and to which regiments.

Swagger sticks are not all that rare-even the somewhat older ones. How is it, that these 2 are being dated to pre-WWI? Your average swagger stick will still usually be below the $100US price range-unless it has, say, a Sterling or Gold name plate wrapped around it as a presentation to someone known. There were a Very large number of Officers sticks produced and in any number of various wood materials such as Malacca, Hickory, Oak, Teak, etc.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

The one with the 1790 date probably has the initials HAC on it,which is for the Honourable Artillery Company,a very old outfit,the OP can research it....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by zwerge View Post
    Look here......CatalogueHeadr
    thanks for the help i saw the one i was interested the he had on sale one his website seemed to be of a much weaker stamp and the wood didnt seem to be as nice as the one i saw !!

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    For what it's worth, the date of 1790 is almost certainly a date for which something extremely significant occurred with this regiment. I'm personally not that up on 18th century British military history, but for someone who is, I would imagine they could figure out what happened in this year and to which regiments.

Swagger sticks are not all that rare-even the somewhat older ones. How is it, that these 2 are being dated to pre-WWI? Your average swagger stick will still usually be below the $100US price range-unless it has, say, a Sterling or Gold name plate wrapped around it as a presentation to someone known. There were a Very large number of Officers sticks produced and in any number of various wood materials such as Malacca, Hickory, Oak, Teak, etc.
    do you think would be a good deal at 65 dollars a piece for them ?? and thank you for all the info about the sticks !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2