Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions

Article about: Hi all, So I purchased a lot of uniforms at an estate sale this weekend. The 2 uniforms in question in this post are both white shirt and pants. They show a lot yellowing/discoloration but h

Default 2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions

Hi all, So I purchased a lot of uniforms at an estate sale this weekend. The 2 uniforms in question in this post are both white shirt and pants. They show a lot yellowing/discoloration but have no holes or rips. I am wondering if I should attempt to get these dry cleaned? I don't know what they are made of. Or should I try and bleach them in the wash? Does anyone have any expierience cleaning white ww2 era uniforms? They are named as are much of the uniform pieces I purchased and I googled his name and learned he served from Private, USMCR, to Lt. j.g., USNR (1942-1946). So I am assuming these and the other items are from that era, but does anyone know what year these are from. The 2 white uniforms are slightly different from eachother. One has 3 metal clips on the collar and then other has 2. I included pictures of both below. Also I have 3 sets of shoulder boards I purchased and I am wondering if any of them go with them or if they are Navy as I have Navy uniforms as well but only one that has the straps that shoulder boards fit on. Also have 3 white hats, or hat tops, what are these and are they complete or parts or other hats and if parts what hats do they do with?
    Uniform 1
    2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions

Uniform 2
    2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions

Shoulder Boards
    2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions

Hats
    2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions   2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions  

2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions   2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions  

2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions   2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions  

2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions  

Default Re: 2 U.S. White Uniforms Lots of Questions

Nooooo please don't use bleach, if they belonged to me i'd leave 'em as they are. If you want the uniform clean i'd give the stained areas a spray with pre wash stain remover and then a short low temperature wash.

I figured bleach was a bad idea but I because they are in good condition other then the staining I wanted to try and get the yellowing out but not at the expence of possibly damaging or hurting the value of the uniforms. Any idea of a safe stain remover?
    Nicole

Quote by serialins0mniac View Post
    I figured bleach was a bad idea but I because they are in good condition other then the staining I wanted to try and get the yellowing out but not at the expence of possibly damaging or hurting the value of the uniforms. Any idea of a safe stain remover?
    Nicole
    I'm really sorry Nicole, i've no idea of US brands.

Hello, would have thought that if all the removable insignia(shoulder boards etc)were taken off, a dry clean should not do the uniforms any damage.After all they are WHITE and made of cotton so what else is there to do unless you are happy to keep them as they are! I'm sure the navy insisted on CLEAN & PRISTINE uniforms,not stained ones!!Anyway you have a nice set there so i hope they soon sparkle.