Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

40 ptn Battledress Blouse

Article about: Hello, hope someone could help out with some advise, I have seen a bd blouse for sale, the thing is the label reads 1940 pattern and it is a British manufacturer Lupin & Sons, Salford, 1

?

Default 40 ptn Battledress Blouse

Hello, hope someone could help out with some advise, I have seen a bd blouse for sale, the thing is the label reads 1940 pattern and it is a British manufacturer Lupin & Sons, Salford, 1942. But the blouse it self has pleated pockets and what looks like stamped metal or brass buttons which are covered with a fly, this of course is the same design as the battledress serge, (37 ptn ).
    The question is, was there a 1940 ptn blouse the same more or less as the battledress serge (37 ptn ) before the the 1940 ptn austerity blouse which had the exposed buttons etc came along.

Thank you if anyone can give me there opinion.

Barrie.

Default Re: 40 ptn Battledress Blouse

Hi Barrie, as always, pics would help.

But 1937 pattern blouses can be found labeled "40 Pattern".

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

40 pattern BD's come in more than one version and all those dated before November 42 look more like the 37 pattern with only minor detail changes, whilst those from after Nov 42 are what are often called the Austerity pattern, with the exposed buttons and unpleated pockets and are also labelled as 40 patterns and are the version you are thinking of I assume.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Ade, Jerry, thank you. I have taken a punt on the battledress so I will post some pics when it arrives.
    Again cheers.

Barrie.

Hi Barrie, I look forward to seeing the pics. I have a few BD's in my collection and I must add an Austerity pattern to it one day.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Yes indeed it can be confusing. Most examples of what collectors refer to as "37 pattern" (no such thing!) are in fact 1940 pattern and not "Battledress, Serge" (the original title).
    The 1940 pattern blouse is the original "Battledress Serge" with re-located pockets and a lined collar.
    The Austerity/economy/call it what you will type would be a 1942 pattern but hardy any exist labelled as such. Most continued to be called "1940 pattern" on the labels.
    Collectors find names usefull and the 37/40 names are just handy titles to tell an Economy pattern from Battledress, Serge.

?

Agree that the terms 37/ 40 ptn do tend to make it easier, most folk tend know what is being refered too.