Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

44 Pattern Uniform

Article about: I thought I would post a few of my 44 Pattern Uniform items over the next few days. It really all came in too late to be used in WW2 but was used immediately after in the Far East. Here is m

Default 44 Pattern Uniform

I thought I would post a few of my 44 Pattern Uniform items over the next few days. It really all came in too late to be used in WW2 but was used immediately after in the Far East.
    Here is my 44 Pattern Poncho which was also an anti gas cape.

44 Pattern Uniform

Pull cord around the neck.
    44 Pattern Uniform

From the outside you can see the outline of the pocket for the anti gas ointment which is on the inside.44 Pattern Uniform

Various markings on the inside of the cape including the stores code and date of 1946.44 Pattern Uniform
    44 Pattern Uniform

Taping around the inside neck.
    44 Pattern Uniform

The anti gas ointment pocket.
    44 Pattern Uniform

A few pictures from the Malayan Emergency, not great of the poncho itself but pictures are hard to find.
    44 Pattern Uniform
    44 Pattern Uniform
    44 Pattern Uniform

In 1962 they took away the Anti Gas Ointment pocket and added a hood and made the eyelets bigger around the edge and came up with the 62 Pattern Poncho.

Here are my Shirts;
    First up is a US War Aid version in HBT, showing this first as it is complete with all buttons and Gas flaps.
    44 Pattern Uniform
    Double Buttons at collar
    44 Pattern Uniform
    Pencil pocket in left chest pocket
    44 Pattern Uniform
    Simple One sided bellows chest pockets
    44 Pattern Uniform
    Double buttons at cuffs.
    44 Pattern Uniform
    Large Gas Flap inside cuff.
    44 Pattern Uniform
    Gas Flap inside shirt
    44 Pattern Uniform
    Gas Flap
    44 Pattern Uniform
    Label
    44 Pattern Uniform
    Belt Loops
    44 Pattern Uniform
    Belt Loop Attached to make sure shirt stays tucked in while crawling and climbing.
    44 Pattern Uniform
    Belt Loop sewn in reinforcement panel.
    44 Pattern Uniform

1944 dated cotton drill Shirt in Sage Green.
    This shirt has undergone some modifications such as button removal and re-location but is great condition.
    44 Pattern Uniform

One collar button has been removed
    44 Pattern Uniform
    The pockets are standard bellows style ,Left pocket has a pencil pocket.
    44 Pattern Uniform
    Buttons have been moved and removed on the cuffs.
    44 Pattern Uniform
    The sleeve openings are not as generous as the HBT variant and no gas flap was fitted, it relied on a larger over lap and the smaller opening.
    44 Pattern Uniform
    The Gas flap is still sewn in position as are the buttons on the opposite side.
    44 Pattern Uniform
    The label.
    44 Pattern Uniform

The belt loops are still in place but not shown.
    Last edited by Roger M; 01-16-2019 at 12:25 AM. Reason: spelling

44 pattern Gaiters
    Closely based on the US variety which were widely used by the Australians in the Jungle. The replaceable strap on these was a good idea but they obviously never caught on, obviously the new high boots of the 1950's were a better design. These are marked with the French acceptance mark which is where much of the 44 pattern uniform went to. (The sage green shirt also came from France but has no French marking)

44 Pattern Uniform
    44 Pattern Uniform
    44 Pattern Uniform
    44 Pattern Uniform
    44 Pattern Uniform
    44 Pattern Uniform

This is the forerunner to the 44 Pattern Pullover, the Indian locally made pullover with the holes for epaulet's and buttons.
    44 Pattern Uniform
    44 Pattern Uniform
    44 Pattern Uniform
    44 Pattern Uniform
    44 Pattern Uniform
    44 Pattern Uniform

44 Pattern Pullover 1945
    This is about the only part of the 44 Pattern uniform that caught on and remained in service for a while.
    44 Pattern Uniform
    44 Pattern Uniform
    44 Pattern Uniform
    44 Pattern Uniform

44 Pattern Pullover 1970
    I think this is the last incarnation of the 44 Pattern Pullover and this is Labelled as Boys Jersey so presumably for cadets.
    44 Pattern Uniform
    44 Pattern Uniform
    44 Pattern Uniform
    44 Pattern Uniform

A comparison of the elbow patch shoe differences in construction and colour.
    44 Pattern Uniform

Underwear
    Lightweight Vest
    I think this is correct but it has no markings apart from pen on the back neck.
    44 Pattern Uniform
    44 Pattern Uniform
    44 Pattern Uniform

Cotton Drawers
    Wide waist belt with 3 rubber buttons, based very much on the US style. Cotton Tapes to adjust for weight loss.
    44 Pattern Uniform
    44 Pattern Uniform

I have shown the boots before but will add them here as well. 1944 dated and a nice matching pair with little use, it is unlikely they went into the Jungle before the war ended and these had been issued to an officer in the pay corps. Very closely based on the Australian Jungle Boot. These were made by Wrights of Kettering.
    44 Pattern Uniform
    44 Pattern Uniform
    44 Pattern Uniform
    44 Pattern Uniform
    44 Pattern Uniform
    Last edited by Roger M; 01-24-2019 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Added manufacturer.

Not technically part of the Uniform but brought in at the same time is the MKIV Helmet with its subtle changes from the MKIII. (lower chin strap rivets and Lift The Dot liner).
    Here is an article from 'The War Illustrated' late 1945 showing the MKV rifle but also some nice pictures of the MKIV Helmet. The figure seems to be wearing 37 Pattern Uniform with 44 Pattern Rucksack.
    44 Pattern Uniform

Here is my MKIV with its original brown paint, textured finish and strap.
    44 Pattern Uniform
    44 Pattern Uniform
    44 Pattern Uniform
    44 Pattern Uniform

Part of the 44 pattern equipment was the First Aid kit issued to small groups operating away from base for a short period. These are quite hard to find and this one was given to me by a friend whose father it belonged too.
    It served with 7 RHA in the fifties and sixties and was still being used until he died hence the modern replacements. The kit does retain two of its original containers. My friend has recently died prematurely at 55 which is why it has come to the front of my mind.( in fact father and son died within a few months of each other (not virus related))
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 44 Pattern Uniform   44 Pattern Uniform  

44 Pattern Uniform   44 Pattern Uniform  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast