Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

78th division battledress , a tribute to my dad.

Article about: I have had my original 1942 dated BD badged up to recreate the look on the attached picture of Dad taken in Italy 1944. the divisional patches and medal ribbon are Dad's original ones (the p

jwp
    ?

Default 78th division battledress , a tribute to my dad.

I have had my original 1942 dated BD badged up to recreate the look on the attached picture of Dad taken in Italy 1944.
    the divisional patches and medal ribbon are Dad's original ones (the patches were unused ones tucked in the back of his paybook !), have also attached a plastic RASC badge to the GS cap to complete the look.
    I am rather pleased with the look and I think a nice way to remember dad and his WW2 service.
    cheers, John.

78th division battledress , a tribute to my dad.78th division battledress , a tribute to my dad.78th division battledress , a tribute to my dad.78th division battledress , a tribute to my dad.78th division battledress , a tribute to my dad.78th division battledress , a tribute to my dad.78th division battledress , a tribute to my dad.

very nice thought.

Hi John, looking good!

My only query is, as I don't know, is the direction of the divisional flashes. Would they not both face the same way?

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

jwp
    ?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi John, looking good!

My only query is, as I don't know, is the direction of the divisional flashes. Would they not both face the same way?

Cheers, Ade.
    Hi Ade, I think they are correct, attached is from the IWM site, the other pic is of slip on titles,
    cheers, John.

78th division battledress , a tribute to my dad.78th division battledress , a tribute to my dad.

Nicely done: it looks like you could also add a couple of RASC titles, as sported by your father's BD blouse. By the way: it looks like the pic was taken in Florence, or in an Italian photographic atelier with a Florence background picture....

jwp
    ?

Quote by Loupie1961 View Post
    Nicely done: it looks like you could also add a couple of RASC titles, as sported by your father's BD blouse. By the way: it looks like the pic was taken in Florence, or in an Italian photographic atelier with a Florence background picture....
    many thanks, I think you are correct about the background being Florence, my thoughts were that it was a photographers backdrop, although not easy to see on the pic I don't think there are RASC shoulder titles on his battledress, from the research I did I think that the RASC companies with the 78th did not wear them, have added a pic I found on the web and a reference which points to this being the case, but I may be wrong !!!,
    cheers, John.

78th division battledress , a tribute to my dad.78th division battledress , a tribute to my dad.

I'm not sure on this div, but I know some did not have handed pairs until after the war, the 1st amoured fist div is one where this was the case. Also war time conditions did sometimes mean that whatever was to hand was used.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

jwp
    ?

just looking through my records and it does appear dad would have been in Florence in 1944, he was in the 36th infantry brigade of the 78th division , their movements in 1944 were :
    11 May - 18 May Cassino II
    18 May - 30 May Liri Valley
    4 July - 17 July Arezzo
    17 July - 10 August Advance to Florence
    25 August - 22 September Gothic Line

cheers, John.

?

Almost all British formations serving on the Italian front didn't wear shoulder titles. Usually nothing other than Div Patch and arm of service stripes were worn, sometimes slip on titles were worn.

jwp
    ?

Quote by Artyom View Post
    Almost all British formations serving on the Italian front didn't wear shoulder titles. Usually nothing other than Div Patch and arm of service stripes were worn, sometimes slip on titles were worn.

many thanks,
    regards, john.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast