Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

78th division battledress , a tribute to my dad.

Article about: I have had my original 1942 dated BD badged up to recreate the look on the attached picture of Dad taken in Italy 1944. the divisional patches and medal ribbon are Dad's original ones (the p

Quote by jwp View Post
    Hi Ade, I think they are correct, attached is from the IWM site, the other pic is of slip on titles,
    cheers, John.

Attachment 864193Attachment 864194
    Hallo, have you a under photo in big format? Thanks

This is my Sahariana with 78th patch. In an facebook group they said me that it is Austria made. It's correct? Thanks

jwp
    ?

Quote by psycopis View Post

This is my Sahariana with 78th patch. In an facebook group they said me that it is Austria made. It's correct? Thanks

Yes, I believe this type of patch was produced in Austria during the 78th divisions occupation duties, the axe blade is not connected up as in the wartime version, full size pic attached shows wartime version, not one of my pics but one i found on the net. cheers, John.

78th division battledress , a tribute to my dad.78th division battledress , a tribute to my dad.

My small selection of 78th. Div combination titles, John.

Possibly the late war Belgian (Brabbant) version or early post war type. The weave on the back might show, but as they are sewn on that is not going to be possible.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

jwp
    ?

Quote by Blackpowder44 View Post
    78th division battledress , a tribute to my dad.78th division battledress , a tribute to my dad.

My small selection of 78th. Div combination titles, John.
    what a great collection, I have not got any of these in my collection, I did bid on one in auction with a royal west kent formation patch under the battleaxe, but missed out, think it made £120, would have liked that one as they were part of 36inf.bgd. which my dad was attached too. cheers, John.

You think that is not genuine. I'm not an expert. The jacket is indian made. Can you explane me more information? Thanks

jwp
    ?

not at all, I think this is a post war (1946) version, Thats all !!!

This version is the type used by 11th Infantry brigade as part of the BAOR in the 1950's.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi John, looking good!

My only query is, as I don't know, is the direction of the divisional flashes. Would they not both face the same way?

Cheers, Ade.
    As far as I know, 78th Division patches were only ever made left facing.

Hi,

As pointed out the photo has photographers backdrop of Florence. However, it was taken in Florence. Here is a photo of my grandfather with the same backdrop - I know it was taken in Florence as I have other where he has written on the back it was taken in while on leave in Florence after the end of the war. This makes sense with the collar and tie...similar to you father.

Incidentally this is a colourised photo - the army patch on the left should be the red and black cat of the 56th division. Oddly enough in the other colorized pics I have they did it correctly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast